Re: [PPLetterpress] Plate making

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2002
      On 1/6/02 5:28 PM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
      > This may be
      > because they need consistent, reliable results and it's cheaper and easier
      > in the long run to order plates rather that go through the trial and error
      > experimentation required to get good results themselves.

      You are certainly correct that trial and error is expensive. I think that
      the cost of the plate material should give any novice second thoughts about
      diving into the hand washing of plates.

      That said, I purchased a machine-washout platemaker after years of "trial
      and error" and consistent success with hand-washout. The volume of work in
      my shop convinced me because the commercial units are efficient and save
      precious time.

      Although I was pleased with my results while hand-washing (and didn't expect
      any improvement was possible), the results from the machine washout are
      superior. This came as quite a surprise. With eighteen 40W bulbs I'm getting
      much more even exposure than the eight 20W I used to use (now there are no
      light corners or banding). The evenness of the brush pressure and repeatable
      functions of the new platemaker mean sharper detail and noticeably crisper
      appearance.

      Larger (and, needless to say, more expensive) plates are particularly
      improved, because I don't need to submerge an 11x17 plate for fifteen
      minutes of scrubbing with a 4x8 brush. Remember that the adhesive which
      holds the polymer on the backing eventually dissolves in water--small
      details are the first to go when washout times increase.

      Hand-washing often works on medium to small-size plates, but a machine will
      always do a superior job and can process the biggest plates just as well as
      the smallest plates.

      Harold Kyle

      Boxcar Press
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210