New member

  • timbenas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18 2:29 PM
      Hi all,
      Being new to this list affords me the opportunity to display my
      ignorance to a large audience. I was involved with commercial
      printing for 30 years and recently started up a small letterpress
      shop here in MD. I have been mostly doing foil stamping and
      embossing for the local trade. I've noticed an increase in the
      demand for quality letterpressed invites, announcements etc. and
      have decided this was for me.
      Right now I'm looking for a photopolymer system to produce my own
      plates. Any help would be appreciated.
      Re: the discussion on lightfast inks... VanSon makes a formula
      called ToughTex which they claim is lightfast in addition to being
      able to print on synthetic substrates..ie... plastics.
      Thanks for listening and good night.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18 7:48 PM
        Hello

        There is a folder here containing links to the many manufacturers of
        photopolymer platemaking machines:

        Several of these manufacturers also offer used equipment from time to
        time, most notably Anderson & Vreeland, JetUSA.

        Gerald

      • RoyVM@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18 10:56 PM
          Jackson Marking Products also makes an excellent photopolyler platemaker, I
          picked one up on ebay about six months ago.

          I have been using Van Son Tough Tex ink for numbering and letterpress
          imprinting on vinyl, mylars, and plastics for over 25 years. It's excellent, but
          don;t let it dry on your press! and it will dry fast!

          Tough Tex-L is an excellent "wax free" ink also, if you plan to over stamp
          your printed image with foil. Most foil stamping will not take well on inks
          containing wax as most inks do. Do not let anyone tell you their ink is wax
          free just because it is oil based. Not so.

        • R.Wu
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2006
            Hi everyone,

            I just joined this group , so here is a little about myself :

            My name is Rene Wu and I live in Almere, the Netherlands. Almere is just
            situated 20 miles from Amsterdam and is rather a new town. Can't believe
            that some 45 years ago it was all water here.

            I am a service engineer for professional sound recording equipment.

            Since the early sixties I began to collect phonographic records, especially
            from the U.S.

            Because I wanted to learn more about records, I started to do an extensive
            research, like who pressed the records, matrix numbers etc.

            Just recently I began to investigate how the labels were printed. It's
            therefore that I became a member of this group and hope that someone is able
            to help me with some questions.

            Rene Wu

            Almere, the Netherlands

          • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2006
              Welcome Rene Wu. This is certainly a good place to
              obtain answers about Letterpress.

              I look forward to reading your posts.

              Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
              Southwest Finishing, Inc.