Hebrew type

  • ingebrug
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
      I have a type question that I hope isn't out of place. I have been a
      little out of touch with this list group, but since it is merging with
      the fine press book list - I thought it might be okay and of interest.

      Does anyone know about good sources for Hebrew type? Does
      anyone know of a person who casts Hebrew monotype?

      Thanks,

      Inge
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
        Many of the ATF Hebrew mats survive, saved initially by Hal Sterne. Up to 24 pt.
        Theo Rehak could cast these, and they are currently in his shop. It would take a
        good-sized order to do this and someone would need to figure out a casting
        order, and to compensate the owner, who is not Theo, either in type for the
        owner's own use, or some monetary consideration. It can be done.

        Fritz

        > I have a type question that I hope isn't out of place. I have been a
        > little out of touch with this list group, but since it is merging with
        > the fine press book list - I thought it might be okay and of interest.
        >
        > Does anyone know about good sources for Hebrew type? Does
        > anyone know of a person who casts Hebrew monotype?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Inge
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Sullivan
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
          I saw this on e-bay, don't know if its of use
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
          eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46697&item=3832091552&rd=1&ssPageName=WD
          VW

          john s
          On Tuesday, August 10, 2004, at 08:06 AM, ingebrug wrote:

          > I have a type question that I hope isn't out of place. I have been a
          > little out of touch with this list group, but since it is merging with
          > the fine press book list - I thought it might be okay and of interest.
          >
          > Does anyone know about good sources for Hebrew type? Does
          > anyone know of a person who casts Hebrew monotype?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Inge

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

        • phild@aix.cc
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
            That looks like type for a Multi-graph. It certainly wouldn't
            work on the Kelsey press in the picture. Apparently the type
            cabinet doesn't go with that press.

            --Ph. D.

          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
              I just took a look at the Hebrew type and Kelsey press, ebay item #3832091552
              spotted by John S. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of caster makes
              the odd bodies on that type? (Or what special printing lockup it was designed
              for?) I recently found a couple of fonts with bodies like this, and was
              puzzled by them.

              In passing, if anyone is puzzled by that Kelsey, the bed and roller tracks
              are just out of place, not missing. Needs new rollers though!

              Thanks for any hints about the odd bodied type.

              Tom Parson
              Now It's Up To You Publications
              157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951
              http://members.aol.com/typetom

            • typetom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
                In a message dated 8/10/2004 phild@... writes:
                That looks like type for a Multi-graph.
                Hi Phil,
                Perhaps you are right, considering the size of the enlargement of the
                compartments in the photo. But the type I have is full sized type with large square
                grooves cut or cast in the sides. Now I'll have to figure out where I stashed
                it to look again!
                Tom

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
                  Inge

                  Don't know if this can help but the Society of Biblical Literature

                  http://www.sbl-site.org/TechResearch/TechResearch_SBLFontFoundation.aspx

                  has a downloadable Hebrew (SBL Hebrew).

                  If the font itself is of no interest the accompanying PDFs on usage
                  and the like are quite good. SBL Hebrew was designed by member John Hudson of Tiro
                  Typeworks.

                  Gerald

                • phild@aix.cc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 10, 2004
                    Gerald Lange skribis:

                    > Don't know if this can help but the Society of Biblical Literature
                    >
                    > http://www.sbl-site.org/TechResearch/TechResearch_SBLFontFoundation.aspx
                    >
                    > has a downloadable Hebrew (SBL Hebrew).
                    >
                    > If the font itself is of no interest the accompanying
                    > PDFs on usage and the like are quite good. SBL Hebrew
                    > was designed by member John Hudson of Tiro Typeworks.

                    If you're looking for digital Hebrew type, there's lots of
                    different fonts available:

                    http://www.myfonts.com/search?search%5Btext%5D=Hebrew&itemsperpage=100

                    http://www.glyphfonts.com/hebrew.html

                    --Ph. D.