Re: [PPLetterpress] Typography in the Raw

  • CaveworksPress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2004
      Gerald,

      I enjoyed looking up the (environmental) typography links. Having attended
      art school in Baltimore, Maryland, an urban setting, I kept my eyes open to the
      curious and unintentional combinations of peeling posters, spraypainted over
      by graffitti artists. My favorite, though is most likely the work of an art
      student. With the habit of watching my feet every so often to make sure I am not
      stepping on glass or other undesirables, I noticed a message in stencil style,
      spray painted onto the sidewalk in parts, kinda like the Burma Shave ads that
      give you a word or two at a time:

      YOU ARE

      READING

      SUBLIMINAL

      MESSAGES

      I had almost, without thinking about it, ignored it after I read it, as so
      much information is read and discarded constantly. But then I dcided it was
      pretty good to have almost slipped in like that, subliminally. Precisely the point.

      Julie