Typography in the Raw

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2004
      I have a particular interest in concrete poetry and its phenomenological extensions. I guess that is how I first became aware of the potential of typography (eventually leading to an understanding of the latent power of letterforms).

      One of my favorite mags way back when was _Stereo Headphones_, a UK-based mix of sound poetry and destructed text. The documentation of "concrete" in temporal applications, e.g., Ian Hamilton Finley, has long been a fascination.

      A couple of interesting recent examples can be seen at

      http://www.underconsideration.com/speakup/archives/002024.html#002024

      http://www.apracticeforeverydaylife.com/greyblanket.html

      Gerald
    • CaveworksPress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2004
        Gerald,

        I enjoyed looking up the (environmental) typography links. Having attended
        art school in Baltimore, Maryland, an urban setting, I kept my eyes open to the
        curious and unintentional combinations of peeling posters, spraypainted over
        by graffitti artists. My favorite, though is most likely the work of an art
        student. With the habit of watching my feet every so often to make sure I am not
        stepping on glass or other undesirables, I noticed a message in stencil style,
        spray painted onto the sidewalk in parts, kinda like the Burma Shave ads that
        give you a word or two at a time:

        YOU ARE

        READING

        SUBLIMINAL

        MESSAGES

        I had almost, without thinking about it, ignored it after I read it, as so
        much information is read and discarded constantly. But then I dcided it was
        pretty good to have almost slipped in like that, subliminally. Precisely the point.

        Julie