Press substitution

  • filmaker0012001
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
      I recently read DIGITAL TYPE ON THE FLAT BED PRESS and was wondering
      if an etching press and hand inking could be substitued for the
      Vandercooks mentioned in the book. I have no idea if I could afford
      to purchase or keep such a large and expensive looking machine.

      Any reply would be apreciated.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
        Hello

        Not really having all that much experience with printmaking, I can't
        really answer that, though I guess the book you are talking about is
        mine. There are a number of resources here regarding printmaking with
        photopolymer, most of them in the form of links to sites. There is
        also a book _Printmaking in the Sun_ which will most likely provide
        you with the answers. There is reference to this in the Database
        tables. You can easily find it on Amazon.com and probably used copies
        on abe.com.

        Basically, I'm assuming yes. But etching presses aren't necessarily
        all that large and they do come up on the used market fairly often and
        really don't command their true value.

        Best of luck

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "filmaker0012001"
        <fsmith01@r...> wrote:
        > I recently read DIGITAL TYPE ON THE FLAT BED PRESS and was wondering
        > if an etching press and hand inking could be substitued for the
        > Vandercooks mentioned in the book. I have no idea if I could afford
        > to purchase or keep such a large and expensive looking machine.
        >
        > Any reply would be apreciated.
      • Roderick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
          An etching press can be substituted for a Vanderbook. Bear in mind
          the following:

          > you have to re-ink everytime, rolling up with a brayer,
          > you have to register your paper exactly every time on the template
          > it takes much longer to roll the press

          In truth, it'll take you at least one hundred times as long with far
          less accurate results but it can be done!

          Smaller presses can definitely be had. Or, if you're in Bay Area,
          join the Graphic Artists Guild (gag.org). They have an SB-20 and
          many, many presses. Happy printing!

          --- filmaker0012001 <fsmith01@...> wrote:

          > I recently read DIGITAL TYPE ON THE FLAT BED PRESS and was
          > wondering
          > if an etching press and hand inking could be substitued for the
          > Vandercooks mentioned in the book. I have no idea if I could afford
          >
          > to purchase or keep such a large and expensive looking machine.
          >
          > Any reply would be apreciated.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • John Sullivan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2004
            Check out Dan Welden and Pauline Muir's book Printmaking in the Sun
            It is a good resource for alternative polymer platemaking ideas and
            uses (BoxCar has the material for great prices). For doing large size
            short run broadsides you can image your copy then surface ink the
            raised type with rubber base litho inks. These inks are water
            rejecting, then you can do a couple swipes with water base block
            printing inks, the type will reject with the intaglio or low relief
            taking them. So you get a series of mono prints with uniform type info.
            Very playful!! (Print and Play both start the same) A shallow plate
            works best, I like the KM-73. (its also very tough)

            John S

            On Thursday, August 5, 2004, at 07:39 AM, filmaker0012001 wrote:

            > I recently read DIGITAL TYPE ON THE FLAT BED PRESS and was wondering
            > if an etching press and hand inking could be substitued for the
            > Vandercooks mentioned in the book. I have no idea if I could afford
            > to purchase or keep such a large and expensive looking machine.
            >
            > Any reply would be apreciated.

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>