  • Peder Singleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
      Hello. Signing in for the first time.
      I'm curious about exposing my own photopolymer plates. Anyone have used
      equipment in good shape for sale? Would an exposure unit for screen
      printing work for polymer?
      I don't know very much about doing this, but I'm very comfortable
      printing with polymer. Where can I learn more about doing it myself?
      Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      Peder
    • John Sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
        If your exposure unit includes a vacuum frame it should be fine for
        photopolymer plates, try several types, plastic and steel backed with a
        test target of type and line art including a Stouffer Sensitivity
        guide. special hand brushes are available, I bought mine at
        photopolymer plates Gene Beckers site. Boxcar has great exposure info
        downloadable as pdf's. Harold has always been great with technical
        info. The wash out is pretty difficult, when I was processing by hand
        1/4 pt rules were my bane! Stopped letting my designers use them (they
        always bent or broke). I contacted the Anderson Vreeland sales rep for
        my area and waited a year till he found a used unit (big and cheap).
        With care and patience you should be able to get satisfactory results.
        Make sure you film is very dense 4.5 or higher Dmax. This is blacker
        than offset plates require so talk to your film provider ahead of time.
        john s
        John Sullivan
        Letterpress and Offset
        Lograph@...
        415-552-0817

        On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Peder Singleton wrote:

        > Hello. Signing in for the first time.
        > I'm curious about exposing my own photopolymer plates. Anyone have used
        > equipment in good shape for sale? Would an exposure unit for screen
        > printing work for polymer?
        > I don't know very much about doing this, but I'm very comfortable
        > printing with polymer. Where can I learn more about doing it myself?
        > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
        > Peder

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
          Peder

          Hopefully this has been answered privately to your satisfaction. If not...

          I suspect you would not want to use an exposure unit for screen
          printing. You do need the translucent, not transparent filter (no
          glass), and you do need the diffused light of the UV tube rack as
          opposed to direct focus. We've gone through this before here, not that
          it does not bear repeating, but...

          Some pointers. 1) Photopolymer plate stock sold in small and re-cut
          quantities by re-distributors will cost you about as much as you would
          pay a professional processor to process your plates. 2) If you process
          your plates by alternative means you will screw up a bunch of them
          through the experimentation process. So... If the whole point is to
          save money, you are working at cross purposes. There are other reasons
          to want to do it yourself, but if economics is the primary concern,
          doing it yourself will not save you money. Especially if you need
          consistent results, such as would be required in book work.

          I make plates for clients, and I can tell you for a fact that
          platemaking is not as creative a process as printing. One can attempt
          to learn typecasting as well, but you will never learn it well, unless
          that is your entire focus. There are other considerations. We've
          argued about them here before as well (check the archives). Hopefully,
          this is making sense.

          Gerald