Ultrasound and other machine washout methods

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14 11:32 PM
      Are any PPL members using an ultrasound unit for washing out plates? I mentioned the possibility of ultrasound to a correspondent today but all I know about it is that some manufacturers have used ultrasound or are using it, but I don't know which manufacturers these might be.

      Also, out of curiosity.... I know that BASF was at one time manufacturing processing units with a plush pad though I think they are no longer doing so (based on the current literature). Anyone have a machine with a plush pad? I actually saw one of these a while back, sort of looked like a big flat pillow that resembled a very large sand dollar. The unit was old but was still essentially in crate, and had never been used!!!

      I suspect that anything that vibrates away the soluble material in a very consistent and controlled manner would be valid, but the only reason I can see for alternatives to the brush plate would be to circumvent possible damage or abrasion to the plate surface. (?)

      Gerald
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15 7:36 AM
        On 7/15/04 2:32 AM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
        > Also, out of curiosity.... I know that BASF was at one time manufacturing
        > processing units with a plush pad though I think they are no longer doing so
        > (based on the current literature). Anyone have a machine with a plush pad? I
        > actually saw one of these a while back, sort of looked like a big flat pillow
        > that resembled a very large sand dollar. The unit was old but was still
        > essentially in crate, and had never been used!!!

        We originally had a plush brush on our machine. It wore out after less than
        one year of use, whereas the bristle brush we replaced it with should last
        much longer. The plush brush did not work perfectly on plates thicker than
        0.040"--it's "bristles" are too short. We were told after complaining about
        our experience that the plush brush is intended specifically for processing
        fine halftone screens. The alternatives to the bristle brush are made to
        hold halftone dots for tones less than 3%. For text or line work, based on
        our experience, the plush brush makes no difference. But there are still
        sources--we can supply custom plush brushes if anyone is still interested.

        I'd be curious about ultrasound. I've also heard of using a pressure wash,
        but the tech data sheet for Printight makes this sound like an inferior
        option (if I recall correctly).

        Hope this helps,
        Harold

        Boxcar Press