TypeCon workshop on digital type for letterpress

  • allenprinter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
      Many thanks to those commercial letterpress printers who have emailed
      me their info to hand out at my workshop.
      I meant also to solicit "please don't do this..." items from you. I
      have my own list of things to tell designers NOT to do, like
      expecting 8pt. Bodoni to be dropped out of a large solid.
      If you are getting the same difficult/irritating design problems
      from designers, things that put them on your "do not call back"
      list, describe them to me and I'll add them to the "O Noooooo!"
      misunderstandings section of my class. I'm hoping to maximize the
      teachable moment!
      Thanks a lot.
      Brian
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
        Brian,
        A piece of advice I would like new or would be graphic artists to be
        given is to realize that Letterpress Printing Has Its Limitations...this is
        why offset lithography rapidly dominated printing production.
        At the same time letterpress has certain advantages over offset; some
        of which include the tactile feel and look of impression, the laying of a
        denser layer of ink when desired, the press feeding of much heavier and
        thicker stock and a few other advantages.
        They must learn the limitations and the advantages of the letterpress
        process and use that knowledge in their design efforts.

        Good Luck,

        Regis Graden

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2004
          Brian

          I wish that every letterpress course or workshop was essentially this, to reveal and demonstrate the value of letterpress, to show what it is capable of and what it is not. Rather than... how to damage presses, type, and other really valuable and irreplaceable material, and have a lot of fun doing it while feeling really good about yourself.

          Maybe I've seen far too many of these book arts programs to think there is any benefit? or that the direction is completely wrong and ill-considered? and the only real rationale is the institutional need for ongoing and increasing head counts? Keep it positive? I Love Letterpress tee-shirts and all that.

          I'm going to regret writing this aren't I?

          Gerald