Re: [PPLetterpress] Problem with airbubbles under film

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
      Hi Bryan,
      As suggested to me originally by Gene Becker, I dust the plate material with
      talc and then brush it clean with a very soft cosmetics make-up brush. It
      takes the tackiness out of the plate and does not seem to interfere with exposure
      at all.

      Earlier in making plates I was having the kind of problem you describe, with
      unevenly thickened lines. I discovered it was from using a glass-topped vacuum
      frame -- the vacuum actually was bending the glass slightly and allowing
      irregular exposure (like an air bubble might). I solved the problem by cutting
      strips of matboard and surrounding the plate material in the frame, so the glass
      has support further out and does not bend. No such problems since I figured
      that out. Probably not your problem with machine exposure and washout -- my
      setup is all homemade and done by hand. Small-scale commercially viable plates,
      though.

      Baby powder seems like the answer.
      Best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson