Re: [PPLetterpress] Problem with airbubbles under film

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
      Bryan,

      You are correct about the humidity. Makes the polymer coating a little
      sticky. I have heard a light dusting with talcum powder helps though I have
      not had the problem with bubbles.

      Good Luck,

      Regis

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
        I get best results by cutting the film smaller than the plate then cutting
        off the plate edges after processing. Also avoid using any sort of masking
        paper on the negs as you would when making offset plates.
        Ed

      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
          Hi Bryan,
          As suggested to me originally by Gene Becker, I dust the plate material with
          talc and then brush it clean with a very soft cosmetics make-up brush. It
          takes the tackiness out of the plate and does not seem to interfere with exposure
          at all.

          Earlier in making plates I was having the kind of problem you describe, with
          unevenly thickened lines. I discovered it was from using a glass-topped vacuum
          frame -- the vacuum actually was bending the glass slightly and allowing
          irregular exposure (like an air bubble might). I solved the problem by cutting
          strips of matboard and surrounding the plate material in the frame, so the glass
          has support further out and does not bend. No such problems since I figured
          that out. Probably not your problem with machine exposure and washout -- my
          setup is all homemade and done by hand. Small-scale commercially viable plates,
          though.

          Baby powder seems like the answer.
          Best wishes, Tom

          Tom Parson