Problem with airbubbles under film

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
      Lately, I have been having issues with air bubbles under my film,
      resulting in uneven line weights and poor image quality. It seems to
      have become an issue now that the humidity has increased in my shop. My
      fix has been to slowly rub down my negs to the plate to get out all
      bubbles.

      any ideas as to why this mat be happening? I am on an A&V Orbital 8

      Cheers,
      Bryan

      bryan hutcheson

      manifesto letterpress
      116 pleasant st. #2245
      easthampton, ma 01027

      p/f: 413.529.0009
      http://www.manifestopress.com

      Custom Letterpress Printing & Design

      Announcements � Stationery � Packaging...and just about anything else
      we can get through our presses

    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
        Bryan,

        You are correct about the humidity. Makes the polymer coating a little
        sticky. I have heard a light dusting with talcum powder helps though I have
        not had the problem with bubbles.

        Good Luck,

        Regis

        Lately, I have been having issues with air bubbles under my film,
        resulting in uneven line weights and poor image quality. It seems to
        have become an issue now that the humidity has increased in my shop. My
        fix has been to slowly rub down my negs to the plate to get out all
        bubbles.

        any ideas as to why this mat be happening? I am on an A&V Orbital 8

        Cheers,
        Bryan

        bryan hutcheson

        manifesto letterpress
        116 pleasant st. #2245
        easthampton, ma 01027

        p/f: 413.529.0009
        http://www.manifestopress.com

        Custom Letterpress Printing & Design

        Announcements - Stationery - Packaging...and just about anything else
        we can get through our presses

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
          I get best results by cutting the film smaller than the plate then cutting
          off the plate edges after processing. Also avoid using any sort of masking
          paper on the negs as you would when making offset plates.
          Ed

        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
            Hi Bryan,
            As suggested to me originally by Gene Becker, I dust the plate material with
            talc and then brush it clean with a very soft cosmetics make-up brush. It
            takes the tackiness out of the plate and does not seem to interfere with exposure
            at all.

            Earlier in making plates I was having the kind of problem you describe, with
            unevenly thickened lines. I discovered it was from using a glass-topped vacuum
            frame -- the vacuum actually was bending the glass slightly and allowing
            irregular exposure (like an air bubble might). I solved the problem by cutting
            strips of matboard and surrounding the plate material in the frame, so the glass
            has support further out and does not bend. No such problems since I figured
            that out. Probably not your problem with machine exposure and washout -- my
            setup is all homemade and done by hand. Small-scale commercially viable plates,
            though.

            Baby powder seems like the answer.
            Best wishes, Tom

            Tom Parson