Font Editor Materials

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2004
      Last spring Leslie Cabarga's new book _Logo, Font & Lettering Bible_ provided some up-to-date instructions on using the old standby of font-editors, Fontographer. Unfortunately FOG has not been upgraded in over five years, and as long as it is in Micromedia's ownership, never will be upgraded. Cabarga's _Learn FONTLAB Fast_,
      which is due out this summer, deals with the more recently developed and much more sophisticated FontLab.

      http://www.logofontandlettering.com/

      I know most folks use digital type straight out of the can, but if you are concerned at all about configuring your fonts more appropriately for letterpress, a font-editor is a must have. Unfortunately, the makers of font-editors have never been very good at technical writing, and that does tend to get in the way of the casual user. Like Stephen Moye's _Fontographer: Type by Design_ (long out-of-print), hopefully Cabarga's new book will make FL a bit less inscrutable.

      FYI: I have developed a cheat sheet for quickly configuring fonts in FontLab, similar to the one I developed for Fontographer in _Printing digital type on the hand-operated flatbed cylinder press_. This will be included in the third edition of PDT, due out toward the end of the year.