Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: ((ask me about Windex))

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
      On 6/16/04 9:10 PM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
      > I'd like to hear the story of the Windex, the Boxcar Base and the
      > Metal-Backed Plate!

      Me too! I would love to find out how to use the metal backed plates on our
      bases. I currently tape them down at the edges when we proof plates that we
      process for other printers. While this works okay on a Vandercook, I would
      love to hear the way you mounted plates for a Windmill. I've been too
      chicken to try this myself! Did the plate survive after the run?

      Thanks,
      Harold

      Boxcar Press
    • John Sullivan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
        It took watching �My big Fat Greek Wedding� to remember the versatility
        of Windex. My first job in printing was as a screen printer. We would
        print onto adhesive backed mylar then apply these to the doors of
        trucks etc. Trapped air bubbles were a big problem. The trick I learned
        was you would spray the truck door with Windex then put on the sign and
        have about 10 minutes to roll out the air bubbles. Some how the Windex
        was absorbed into the adhesive, the signs never seemed to come off.
        Harold�s work flow with the plastic back plates is great, you can see
        through and line up on the grid, (peel up and replace) but I have
        migrated to steel backed plates and with the double sided adhesive once
        down they just didn�t pick up without getting ugly. So the Windex
        concept resurfaced. I apply the adhesive to the plate back, get my
        rough position on the base, making register marks with a super fine
        Sharpie. Now prior to peeling and applying the plate I �LIGHTLY� spray
        the base with Windex, then using a finger evenly spread the Windex over
        the entire base. It should just look damp not wet!. I then put the
        plate down, wack it with my soft hammer to seat it and proceed with my
        make ready. You have about 20 minutes of reposition time, if you need
        to pick up the plate more than twice (shame on you) you probably should
        apply more Windex. Once I have the makeready completed I let it stand
        for about 15 minutes (have some milk and a cookie) then print. I have
        only used this on my Windmill (platen) not on the cylinder, but have
        done multi-thousand runs with no plate movement. I know this because
        the last run was a blind hit in register with offset.
        I am a blended process printer, Offset and Letterpress. I will post on
        this work flow.

        John Sullivan
        Letterpress and Offset
        Lograph@...
        415-552-0817

        On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 06:09 AM, Harold Kyle wrote:

        > On 6/16/04 9:10 PM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
        > > I'd like to hear the story of the Windex, the Boxcar Base and the
        > > Metal-Backed Plate!
        >
        > Me too! I would love to find out how to use the metal backed plates on
        > our
        > bases. I currently tape them down at the edges when we proof plates
        > that we
        > process for other printers. While this works okay on a Vandercook, I
        > would
        > love to hear the way you mounted plates for a Windmill. I've been too
        > chicken to try this myself! Did the plate survive after the run?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Harold
        >

        > Boxcar Press
        > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
        > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
        > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com

        <image.tiff>

        <image.tiff>

        > �
        > �

      • Bryan Hutcheson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
          Just an FYI for everyone out there using steel backed plates. I am
          currently working with a mill company in the basement of my building to
          manufacture a new base for mounting steel backed plates. The base,
          which will have a much better alignment for visual registration than
          the Bunting base is being tested as soon as the shop finishes milling
          down to the right thickness.

          Cheers,
          Bryan

          bryan hutcheson

          manifesto letterpress
          116 pleasant st. #2245
          easthampton, ma 01027

          p/f: 413.529.0009
          http://www.manifestopress.com

          Custom Letterpress Printing & Design

          Announcements � Stationery � Packaging...and just about anything else
          we can get through our presses

        • Printer
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
            Thanks for that reply, John. I only have one other question: you say the Windex makes the adhesive workable for 20 minutes or so. Does that mean the plates still get trashed when you lift them off the base after a longer period of time, or at the end of a longer run? That is, does the Windex simply allow you to adjust your position a few times, or does it make the plate salvageable/reusable as well?

            Joel

            Joel Benson
            Dependable Letterpress
            San Francisco
          • John Sullivan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
              you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink knife help
              get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a short
              attention span printer and don't save plates (been there done that!)
              john s
              On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 02:22 PM, Printer wrote:

              > Thanks for that reply, John.� I only have one other question: you say
              > the Windex makes the adhesive workable for 20 minutes or so.� Does
              > that mean the plates still get trashed when you lift them off the base
              > after a longer period of time, or at the end of a longer run?� That
              > is, does the Windex simply allow you to adjust your position a few
              > times, or does it make the plate salvageable/reusable as well?
              >
              > Joel
              >
              > Joel Benson
              > Dependable Letterpress
              > San Francisco

              <image.tiff>

              <image.tiff>

              > �
              > �

            • percyff
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, John Sullivan <Lograph@m...>
                wrote:
                > you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink knife
                help
                > get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a short
                > attention span printer and don't save plates (been there done
                that!)
                > john s
                ]

                Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is available in
                the UK?
                percy westwood
              • arizonaprinter
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                  Glass Cleaner

                  From: "percyff" <percyff_@...>
                  Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:09:33 -0000
                  To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: ((ask me about Windex))

                  ]

                  Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is available in
                  the UK?
                  percy westwood

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                    windex is simply a glass cleaner. I imagine any product of that nature
                    will do the same job?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                      I couple of instructional presses where I have taught use Windex to
                      clean metal printing surfaces. I guess to get away from problems of
                      health and environmental issues. Since the label on Cinch (similar to
                      Windex) contains "cleaning agents" and "soil suspension agents," which
                      I assume is essentially ammonia watered down quite a bit... I was
                      wondering how these effect photopolymer plates. Does anyone use a
                      window cleaning product for this purpose?

                      Gerald
                    • arizonaprinter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                        we wipe the exterior of all of our equipment down with pledge. We buy the
                        concentrate at Home Depot and dilute it very little. After a few
                        application you can just wipe ink off with a rage of pledge and the rebuff
                        it. Plus most SC Johnson Wax products are good at cutting through grime to
                        clean and polish. Also you get a very nice smelling press.

                        Sean

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                          Water based window cleaner with amonia and alcohol with a
                          smidge of detergent and colouring, usually blue. Sold in a
                          trigger spray bottle.

                          MayKitten

                          --- percyff <percyff_@...> wrote:
                          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, John Sullivan
                          > <Lograph@m...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink
                          > knife
                          > help
                          > > get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a
                          > short
                          > > attention span printer and don't save plates (been there
                          > done
                          > that!)
                          > > john s
                          > ]
                          >
                          > Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is
                          > available in
                          > the UK?
                          > percy westwood

                          =====
                          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                          From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                          BY: Doreen Valiente

                          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                        • hiroshi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 20, 2004
                            We spray windex to shoot down flying mosquitos inside the house,
                            especially towards resting bugs on "hard to reach" areas! A hit on the
                            buzzer will knock her from her flight path straight down to the floor.
                            It's much easier than trying to waack them with your hands.

                            Seeing that windex is 99% water:

                            When we used to use rags with a bit of water and oil mix to clean
                            polymers, we were experiencing polymer degradations quite often.

                            After we started to use just vegetable oil (Canola in our case), to
                            lift soy & rubber based ink from the surface (and rollers), we've had
                            no problems.

                            We usually don't but I suppose you can wipe the residual oil with a
                            clean rag.

                            I believe safflower oil doesn't readily dry so perhaps this is a better
                            (but this one is a little more pricier) solution. We haven't tried this
                            yet.

                            btw, would ammonia (in Windex) act act as the delivery vehicle for
                            various "nastyness" to circumvent the skin's barrier?

                            hiroshi

                            On Jun 19, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                            > I couple of instructional presses where I have taught use Windex to
                            > clean metal printing surfaces. I guess to get away from problems of
                            > health and environmental issues. Since the label on Cinch (similar to
                            > Windex) contains "cleaning agents" and "soil suspension agents," which
                            > I assume is essentially ammonia watered down quite a bit... I was
                            > wondering how these effect photopolymer plates. Does anyone use a
                            > window cleaning product for this purpose?
                            >
                            > Gerald
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            > <yhoo0504_a_300250a052604.gif>
                            > <l.gif>

                            > �
                            > �
                            > Service.

                          • pj westwood
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 21, 2004
                              What inks do you guys use. I was in litho, gave it up, and am now returning
                              to the proper printing that I did many, many years ago. I have some litho
                              inks, an dwe used to use harsh solvents to clean thenm up. I was thinking of
                              using th eolf inks to start with, but are inks specifically designed for
                              leterpress better and easier to clean up?

                              Getting heidelberg windmill, and resident in uUK.

                              percyff

                              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 24, 2004
                                I print on Vandercooks and usually work with dampened mouldmade and handmade papers. I've found printmakers' stone litho inks work well with this combination. Very stiff, sticky inks with loads of tack that function well in hand-operations. I doubt they would work well with your forthcoming Heidelberg. I like the Handschy Crayon Black for most text work. An odd ink though, as it gets older it tends to solidify from the bottom and sides of the can. A bit disturbing actually. The way it solidifies makes me suspect it to be more a polymer/rubber mix, rather than a traditional oil based printmaking ink. Consequently I will sometimes alter its viscosity with VanSon's Traditional Black without seemingly adverse effect.

                                At any rate, there are a couple of relatively recent (in the scheme of things)
                                letterpress inks that would probably be worth your interest. Midway Ink Corporation's Book Black No. B-17421 (distributed by Boxcar Press) and Hostmann-Steinberg's L/P Special Matte Black (distributed by NA Graphics). They don't quite work for me as well as I would have hoped but I suspect they perform much better on more automated presses.

                                Gerald

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "pj westwood" <percyff_@h...> wrote:
                                > What inks do you guys use. I was in litho, gave it up, and am now
                                returning
                                > to the proper printing that I did many, many years ago. I have some
                                litho
                                > inks, an dwe used to use harsh solvents to clean thenm up. I was
                                thinking of
                                > using th eolf inks to start with, but are inks specifically designed
                                for
                                > leterpress better and easier to clean up?
                                >
                                > Getting heidelberg windmill, and resident in uUK.
                                >
                                > percyff
                              • Kathleen Whalen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 24, 2004
                                  I just figured out you were in the UK, so this might be of use:

                                  Hostmann Steinberg oil based inks are now distributed by Ultrachem. The
                                  Dense Black is excellent for letterpress, costs £12.27 a kilo, plus VAT, and
                                  comes on a pro forma invoice. Phone 0800 616000 for their catalogue.

                                  Graham Moss
                                  Incline Press
                                  36 Bow Street
                                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England