Re: ((ask me about Windex))

  • Printer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 16, 2004
      Hi John,
      I'd like to hear the story of the Windex, the Boxcar Base and the
      Metal-Backed Plate!

      Thanks,
      Joel

      Joel Benson
      Dependable Letterpress
      San Francisco
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
        On 6/16/04 9:10 PM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
        > I'd like to hear the story of the Windex, the Boxcar Base and the
        > Metal-Backed Plate!

        Me too! I would love to find out how to use the metal backed plates on our
        bases. I currently tape them down at the edges when we proof plates that we
        process for other printers. While this works okay on a Vandercook, I would
        love to hear the way you mounted plates for a Windmill. I've been too
        chicken to try this myself! Did the plate survive after the run?

        Thanks,
        Harold

        Boxcar Press
      • John Sullivan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
          It took watching �My big Fat Greek Wedding� to remember the versatility
          of Windex. My first job in printing was as a screen printer. We would
          print onto adhesive backed mylar then apply these to the doors of
          trucks etc. Trapped air bubbles were a big problem. The trick I learned
          was you would spray the truck door with Windex then put on the sign and
          have about 10 minutes to roll out the air bubbles. Some how the Windex
          was absorbed into the adhesive, the signs never seemed to come off.
          Harold�s work flow with the plastic back plates is great, you can see
          through and line up on the grid, (peel up and replace) but I have
          migrated to steel backed plates and with the double sided adhesive once
          down they just didn�t pick up without getting ugly. So the Windex
          concept resurfaced. I apply the adhesive to the plate back, get my
          rough position on the base, making register marks with a super fine
          Sharpie. Now prior to peeling and applying the plate I �LIGHTLY� spray
          the base with Windex, then using a finger evenly spread the Windex over
          the entire base. It should just look damp not wet!. I then put the
          plate down, wack it with my soft hammer to seat it and proceed with my
          make ready. You have about 20 minutes of reposition time, if you need
          to pick up the plate more than twice (shame on you) you probably should
          apply more Windex. Once I have the makeready completed I let it stand
          for about 15 minutes (have some milk and a cookie) then print. I have
          only used this on my Windmill (platen) not on the cylinder, but have
          done multi-thousand runs with no plate movement. I know this because
          the last run was a blind hit in register with offset.
          I am a blended process printer, Offset and Letterpress. I will post on
          this work flow.

          John Sullivan
          Letterpress and Offset
          Lograph@...
          415-552-0817

          On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 06:09 AM, Harold Kyle wrote:

          > On 6/16/04 9:10 PM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
          > > I'd like to hear the story of the Windex, the Boxcar Base and the
          > > Metal-Backed Plate!
          >
          > Me too! I would love to find out how to use the metal backed plates on
          > our
          > bases. I currently tape them down at the edges when we proof plates
          > that we
          > process for other printers. While this works okay on a Vandercook, I
          > would
          > love to hear the way you mounted plates for a Windmill. I've been too
          > chicken to try this myself! Did the plate survive after the run?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Harold
          >

          > Boxcar Press
          > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
          > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
          > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > �
          > �

        • Bryan Hutcheson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
            Just an FYI for everyone out there using steel backed plates. I am
            currently working with a mill company in the basement of my building to
            manufacture a new base for mounting steel backed plates. The base,
            which will have a much better alignment for visual registration than
            the Bunting base is being tested as soon as the shop finishes milling
            down to the right thickness.

            Cheers,
            Bryan

            bryan hutcheson

            manifesto letterpress
            116 pleasant st. #2245
            easthampton, ma 01027

            p/f: 413.529.0009
            http://www.manifestopress.com

            Custom Letterpress Printing & Design

            Announcements � Stationery � Packaging...and just about anything else
            we can get through our presses

          • Printer
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
              Thanks for that reply, John. I only have one other question: you say the Windex makes the adhesive workable for 20 minutes or so. Does that mean the plates still get trashed when you lift them off the base after a longer period of time, or at the end of a longer run? That is, does the Windex simply allow you to adjust your position a few times, or does it make the plate salvageable/reusable as well?

              Joel

              Joel Benson
              Dependable Letterpress
              San Francisco
            • John Sullivan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 17, 2004
                you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink knife help
                get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a short
                attention span printer and don't save plates (been there done that!)
                john s
                On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 02:22 PM, Printer wrote:

                > Thanks for that reply, John.� I only have one other question: you say
                > the Windex makes the adhesive workable for 20 minutes or so.� Does
                > that mean the plates still get trashed when you lift them off the base
                > after a longer period of time, or at the end of a longer run?� That
                > is, does the Windex simply allow you to adjust your position a few
                > times, or does it make the plate salvageable/reusable as well?
                >
                > Joel
                >
                > Joel Benson
                > Dependable Letterpress
                > San Francisco

                <image.tiff>

                <image.tiff>

                > �
                > �

              • percyff
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, John Sullivan <Lograph@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink knife
                  help
                  > get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a short
                  > attention span printer and don't save plates (been there done
                  that!)
                  > john s
                  ]

                  Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is available in
                  the UK?
                  percy westwood
                • arizonaprinter
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                    Glass Cleaner

                    From: "percyff" <percyff_@...>
                    Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:09:33 -0000
                    To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: ((ask me about Windex))

                    ]

                    Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is available in
                    the UK?
                    percy westwood

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                      windex is simply a glass cleaner. I imagine any product of that nature
                      will do the same job?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                        I couple of instructional presses where I have taught use Windex to
                        clean metal printing surfaces. I guess to get away from problems of
                        health and environmental issues. Since the label on Cinch (similar to
                        Windex) contains "cleaning agents" and "soil suspension agents," which
                        I assume is essentially ammonia watered down quite a bit... I was
                        wondering how these effect photopolymer plates. Does anyone use a
                        window cleaning product for this purpose?

                        Gerald
                      • arizonaprinter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                          we wipe the exterior of all of our equipment down with pledge. We buy the
                          concentrate at Home Depot and dilute it very little. After a few
                          application you can just wipe ink off with a rage of pledge and the rebuff
                          it. Plus most SC Johnson Wax products are good at cutting through grime to
                          clean and polish. Also you get a very nice smelling press.

                          Sean

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2004
                            Water based window cleaner with amonia and alcohol with a
                            smidge of detergent and colouring, usually blue. Sold in a
                            trigger spray bottle.

                            MayKitten

                            --- percyff <percyff_@...> wrote:
                            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, John Sullivan
                            > <Lograph@m...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > you should be able to catch a corner the with a little ink
                            > knife
                            > help
                            > > get the plate off with minimal bending (reusable) I am a
                            > short
                            > > attention span printer and don't save plates (been there
                            > done
                            > that!)
                            > > john s
                            > ]
                            >
                            > Can someone translate "windex" into a product that is
                            > available in
                            > the UK?
                            > percy westwood

                            =====
                            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

                            From the book, Charge of the Goddess
                            BY: Doreen Valiente

                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                          • hiroshi
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 20, 2004
                              We spray windex to shoot down flying mosquitos inside the house,
                              especially towards resting bugs on "hard to reach" areas! A hit on the
                              buzzer will knock her from her flight path straight down to the floor.
                              It's much easier than trying to waack them with your hands.

                              Seeing that windex is 99% water:

                              When we used to use rags with a bit of water and oil mix to clean
                              polymers, we were experiencing polymer degradations quite often.

                              After we started to use just vegetable oil (Canola in our case), to
                              lift soy & rubber based ink from the surface (and rollers), we've had
                              no problems.

                              We usually don't but I suppose you can wipe the residual oil with a
                              clean rag.

                              I believe safflower oil doesn't readily dry so perhaps this is a better
                              (but this one is a little more pricier) solution. We haven't tried this
                              yet.

                              btw, would ammonia (in Windex) act act as the delivery vehicle for
                              various "nastyness" to circumvent the skin's barrier?

                              hiroshi

                              On Jun 19, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                              > I couple of instructional presses where I have taught use Windex to
                              > clean metal printing surfaces. I guess to get away from problems of
                              > health and environmental issues. Since the label on Cinch (similar to
                              > Windex) contains "cleaning agents" and "soil suspension agents," which
                              > I assume is essentially ammonia watered down quite a bit... I was
                              > wondering how these effect photopolymer plates. Does anyone use a
                              > window cleaning product for this purpose?
                              >
                              > Gerald
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              > <yhoo0504_a_300250a052604.gif>
                              > <l.gif>

                              > �
                              > �
                              > Service.

                            • pj westwood
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 21, 2004
                                What inks do you guys use. I was in litho, gave it up, and am now returning
                                to the proper printing that I did many, many years ago. I have some litho
                                inks, an dwe used to use harsh solvents to clean thenm up. I was thinking of
                                using th eolf inks to start with, but are inks specifically designed for
                                leterpress better and easier to clean up?

                                Getting heidelberg windmill, and resident in uUK.

                                percyff

                                http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 24, 2004
                                  I print on Vandercooks and usually work with dampened mouldmade and handmade papers. I've found printmakers' stone litho inks work well with this combination. Very stiff, sticky inks with loads of tack that function well in hand-operations. I doubt they would work well with your forthcoming Heidelberg. I like the Handschy Crayon Black for most text work. An odd ink though, as it gets older it tends to solidify from the bottom and sides of the can. A bit disturbing actually. The way it solidifies makes me suspect it to be more a polymer/rubber mix, rather than a traditional oil based printmaking ink. Consequently I will sometimes alter its viscosity with VanSon's Traditional Black without seemingly adverse effect.

                                  At any rate, there are a couple of relatively recent (in the scheme of things)
                                  letterpress inks that would probably be worth your interest. Midway Ink Corporation's Book Black No. B-17421 (distributed by Boxcar Press) and Hostmann-Steinberg's L/P Special Matte Black (distributed by NA Graphics). They don't quite work for me as well as I would have hoped but I suspect they perform much better on more automated presses.

                                  Gerald

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "pj westwood" <percyff_@h...> wrote:
                                  > What inks do you guys use. I was in litho, gave it up, and am now
                                  returning
                                  > to the proper printing that I did many, many years ago. I have some
                                  litho
                                  > inks, an dwe used to use harsh solvents to clean thenm up. I was
                                  thinking of
                                  > using th eolf inks to start with, but are inks specifically designed
                                  for
                                  > leterpress better and easier to clean up?
                                  >
                                  > Getting heidelberg windmill, and resident in uUK.
                                  >
                                  > percyff
                                • Kathleen Whalen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 24, 2004
                                    I just figured out you were in the UK, so this might be of use:

                                    Hostmann Steinberg oil based inks are now distributed by Ultrachem. The
                                    Dense Black is excellent for letterpress, costs £12.27 a kilo, plus VAT, and
                                    comes on a pro forma invoice. Phone 0800 616000 for their catalogue.

                                    Graham Moss
                                    Incline Press
                                    36 Bow Street
                                    Oldham OL1 1SJ England