Re: [PPLetterpress] Heidelberg uneven impression in a weird way

  • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
      the preassure adjustment oh the windmill acts more like a clam shell so you
      should play around with the packing a little more. We have don jobs on our
      large heidelberg cylinders that have taken 3 or 4 hours to gete all of the
      ohoto's packed to perfection. This is why it is a craft or skill not just
      an idiots job it requires thought. That was not ment to sound derogatory
      but a lot of sheet fed pressmen have no mechanical ability unlike the older
      letterpress craftsmen.

      From: Kim Vanderheiden <paintedtongue@...>
      Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:45:39 -0700
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Heidelberg uneven impression in a weird way

      Howdy group!

      & Hey John Sullivan, I didn't know you were part of this list. I can
      ask you and everyone else the same question at the same time.

      So I've been printing a couple of jobs on my Heidelberg Windmill that
      have continuous, solid borders around all four edges of the pieces, and
      I'm consistently having a bugger of a time getting the coverage on the
      right side to look as good as the coverage on the left. The right upper
      side is particularly a problem, but the left upper side looks great, so
      it doesn't seem to be the amount of packing and whether the platen is
      parallel. When I increase impression, the problem is even more obvious.
      I wondered if it was my packing, which had been reused from past jobs,
      didn't look too bad, but might be more compressed in that corner or
      something. Yesterday I tried an experiment where I ran super thick 300#
      watercolor paper through the press, because it's impression is about
      right when there isn't any packing at all. Sure enough it printed fine,
      and I thought my problem was solved. Today I put all brand new packing
      in the press to use the thinner stock I'm using for this job and am
      having the same problem. Unfortunately, adding little bits of packing
      behind the problem area helps somewhat, but doesn't solve the problem,
      and makes it difficult to achieve a continuous tone around the border.
      I've lowered the rollers there until I got halos on my type, but still
      had the problem with the border. I'm getting a little baffled.

      Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Do I need to bring in a
      professional repair person to look at it, or is there something I can
      do?

      Thanks!

      Kim Vanderheiden

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
          Not an ad for BoxCar bases but! Have you tried rotating your base with
          the plate 180 to see if the problem follows your mag base and mounting
          system? This is the part I like about Harold's system, of double tape
          straight onto machined metal (you can use metal backed plates with
          these bases ((ask me about Windex))). If the problem turns with the
          base then remount. You might try running with out guides and move the
          sheet to the center of the platen, it might be a sweeter more tolerant
          area to print in, pack with the fewest sheets, in offset we have the
          "rule of 4" this is don't put more that 4 pieces of packing under the
          blanket, mottling can occur in large tint or halftone areas because of
          uneven contact with to many paper surfaces.
          P.S. heard you Open Studio was a big success:)
          john s

          John Sullivan
          Letterpress and Offset
          Lograph@...
          415-552-0817

          On Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at 01:45 PM, Kim Vanderheiden wrote:

          > Howdy group!
          >
          > & Hey John Sullivan, I didn't know you were part of this list. I can
          > ask you and everyone else the same question at the same time.
          >
          > So I've been printing a couple of jobs on my Heidelberg Windmill that
          > have continuous, solid borders around all four edges of the pieces, and
          > I'm consistently having a bugger of a time getting the coverage on the
          > right side to look as good as the coverage on the left. The right upper
          > side is particularly a problem, but the left upper side looks great, so
          > it doesn't seem to be the amount of packing and whether the platen is
          > parallel. When I increase impression, the problem is even more obvious.
          > I wondered if it was my packing, which had been reused from past jobs,
          > didn't look too bad, but might be more compressed in that corner or
          > something. Yesterday I tried an experiment where I ran super thick 300#
          > watercolor paper through the press, because it's impression is about
          > right when there isn't any packing at all. Sure enough it printed fine,
          > and I thought my problem was solved. Today I put all brand new packing
          > in the press to use the thinner stock I'm using for this job and am
          > having the same problem. Unfortunately, adding little bits of packing
          > behind the problem area helps somewhat, but doesn't solve the problem,
          > and makes it difficult to achieve a continuous tone around the border.
          > I've lowered the rollers there until I got halos on my type, but still
          > had the problem with the border. I'm getting a little baffled.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Do I need to bring in a
          > professional repair person to look at it, or is there something I can
          > do?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Kim Vanderheiden

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > �
          > �

        • Bryan Hutcheson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
            Underlay ? Build up by maybe .001" behind the base?