Re: [PPLetterpress] heavy ink coverage problem

  • John Sullivan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2004
      D.A.R.E. for printers? D.A.R.E. is a program for teaching kids to say
      no to drugs. The program tries to help the person define who they are
      and then assert that conviction. People (friends, customers etc.) bring
      us their printing jobs, probably first because they like us and want to
      work with us on a project (not because we are the best printer for the
      job). This is where the D.A.R.E. program comes in, we must first define
      what kind of printer we are based on our interests and the capabilites
      of the equipment we choose to operate. From this vantage point we can
      then view the offered work and choose to print if it fits or dare to
      say no if the end product is not appropriate for our work flow. I think
      of saying no to a job, as also saying yes to a future job, that will
      surly come and I will have time to do because I am not bogged down
      doing inappropriate work.

      John Sullivan
      Letterpress and Offset
      Lograph@...
      415-552-0817

      On Monday, June 14, 2004, at 05:47 AM, Harold Kyle wrote:

      > On 6/14/04 1:52 AM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
      > > I have heard stories of printers
      > > who will print this kind of thing offset, then hit it blind on the
      > > letterpress to create the impression that is desired.
      >
      > I tried this once a while ago. My shop's climate at the time was very
      > different than the climate of the offset shop I used. I couldn't hold
      > register because the sheet expanded about 3/32 of an inch on the 14
      > inch
      > side (the sheet was short grain legal size) when I brought it to my
      > shop.
      > What a nightmare. If you can monitor your climate or if your register
      > is
      > unimportant this may work--otherwise you might be in for a similar
      > surprise.
      >
      > Solids with small reverse text are difficult by letterpress. Can it
      > ever
      > look as even or as crisp as offset would? If I were in this situation I
      > would try running only slightly heavy on ink and adding tack reducer,
      > double
      > rolling the ink before heavy impression--and maybe send the sheet twice
      > through the press.
      >
      > Harold
      >

      > Boxcar Press
      > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
      > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
      > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16, 2004
        John

        The metaphor threw me at first but I guess I pretty much agree. I offer a certain kind of service. Period. I'm not interested in printing or typographic design or whatever just for the money. I guess that might be easier to say from the perspective of having done this for some time. But I'm not sure that should matter. Guess it depends. I sort of have the luxury of thinking, do I like this project? is it challenging? will I learn something here? Not that I don't need the rent money, just that I've gone without it being on time for so long that I realize that is not really the most important thing about all this. Not that I fully understand what is the most important thing about all this. Other folks have more defined rationale. I just like getting up in the morning and working at something I know how to do, can do it well, and kind of get a kick out of it all. And, of course, somehow, it pays the rent.

        Gerald

        Service.