Re: heavy ink coverage problem

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2004
      Roderick

      Were your plates exposed "lean" (less exposure) for the solid or more
      of a "medium" exposure for the type? You might need to run lean to
      allow for a more open and inclined substructure relief. And perhaps a
      tad longer washout. This is somewhat the real problem with
      photopolymer, having to sacrifice surface qualities for subsurface
      qualities, or vica versa. Running lean would mean losing some of the
      quality of the letterform (thinness/sharpness) but it might allow you
      to work acceptably with the solid without filling in the knocked-out type.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rxchow" <rxchow@y...> wrote:
      > I have a vexing problem. I'm printing labels whose text is knocked-out
      > (reversed) and my results are far less than optimal because of the
      > requisite heavy ink coverage. I've inked the rollers twice. Did an
      > overprint. Added a lot of ink to the rollers. I'm stuck between lots
      > of transparency (extremely unacceptable) and muddled serifs. The label
      > size is approx. 3 by 4.5 inches.
      >
      > What are my options other than asking for a redesign and printing
      > offset? I'm printing with polymer plates on a Vandy 219 with a
      > non-adjustable bed. Help please!
      >
      > Thank you in advance, Roderick
    • Printer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2004
        At risk of stating the obvious, orient the form so that the cylinder is
        parallel to the shorter dimension of the solid area. The pressure is
        distributed in a stripe across the form, so the press has more ooomph if
        the stripe is going across the 3" rather than 4.5". Perhaps this, in
        combination with double inking or a double hit will pull it off. I hope
        you're not doing these 2- or 3- or 4-up!

        Other suggestions posted sound good. I have heard stories of printers
        who will print this kind of thing offset, then hit it blind on the
        letterpress to create the impression that is desired.

        Joel Benson
        Dependable Letterpress
        San Francisco

        rxchow wrote:

        >I have a vexing problem. I'm printing labels whose text is knocked-out
        >(reversed) and my results are far less than optimal because of the
        >requisite heavy ink coverage. I've inked the rollers twice. Did an
        >overprint. Added a lot of ink to the rollers. I'm stuck between lots
        >of transparency (extremely unacceptable) and muddled serifs. The label
        >size is approx. 3 by 4.5 inches.
        >
        >What are my options other than asking for a redesign and printing
        >offset? I'm printing with polymer plates on a Vandy 219 with a
        >non-adjustable bed. Help please!
        >
        >Thank you in advance, Roderick
        >

        >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
        >http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM
        >--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark Wilden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2004
          From: "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...>

          > At risk of stating the obvious, orient the form so that the cylinder is
          > parallel to the shorter dimension of the solid area. The pressure is
          > distributed in a stripe across the form, so the press has more ooomph if
          > the stripe is going across the 3" rather than 4.5"

          That's interesting. As a relative newbie, I was thinking the opposite - turn
          the form so the long side is parallel to the cylinder, to use as much of the
          rollers as possible.
        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
            > From: "Mark Wilden" <mark@...>
            > Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:18:04 -0700
            > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] heavy ink coverage problem
            >

            > That's interesting. As a relative newbie, I was thinking the opposite - turn
            > the form so the long side is parallel to the cylinder, to use as much of the
            > rollers as possible.

            Thats exactly what I have just discovered printing a decorated paper sheet
            on the SP15 for use as the paper side of a book cover. Turning the plate so
            its long side is parallel to the cylinder, and turning the paper likewise
            (so the grain helps the paper to 'wrap' round the cylinder) has given a much
            better level of 'solid' to the image. Don't know which of the two variables
            is worth the most, but together it's fine.

            Still learning as I go.

            And Kathy has updated the website - no new pictures of the workshop yet,
            though there will be a section on the machinery here eventually - just a
            couple of new books and a poster with the UN Civil Aviation Phonetic
            Alphabet in wood type and linocuts.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            (44) 0161 627 1966
            http://www.inclinepress.com
          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
              On 6/14/04 1:52 AM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
              > I have heard stories of printers
              > who will print this kind of thing offset, then hit it blind on the
              > letterpress to create the impression that is desired.

              I tried this once a while ago. My shop's climate at the time was very
              different than the climate of the offset shop I used. I couldn't hold
              register because the sheet expanded about 3/32 of an inch on the 14 inch
              side (the sheet was short grain legal size) when I brought it to my shop.
              What a nightmare. If you can monitor your climate or if your register is
              unimportant this may work--otherwise you might be in for a similar surprise.

              Solids with small reverse text are difficult by letterpress. Can it ever
              look as even or as crisp as offset would? If I were in this situation I
              would try running only slightly heavy on ink and adding tack reducer, double
              rolling the ink before heavy impression--and maybe send the sheet twice
              through the press.

              Harold

              Boxcar Press
            • John Sullivan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15, 2004
                D.A.R.E. for printers? D.A.R.E. is a program for teaching kids to say
                no to drugs. The program tries to help the person define who they are
                and then assert that conviction. People (friends, customers etc.) bring
                us their printing jobs, probably first because they like us and want to
                work with us on a project (not because we are the best printer for the
                job). This is where the D.A.R.E. program comes in, we must first define
                what kind of printer we are based on our interests and the capabilites
                of the equipment we choose to operate. From this vantage point we can
                then view the offered work and choose to print if it fits or dare to
                say no if the end product is not appropriate for our work flow. I think
                of saying no to a job, as also saying yes to a future job, that will
                surly come and I will have time to do because I am not bogged down
                doing inappropriate work.

                John Sullivan
                Letterpress and Offset
                Lograph@...
                415-552-0817

                On Monday, June 14, 2004, at 05:47 AM, Harold Kyle wrote:

                > On 6/14/04 1:52 AM, "Printer" <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
                > > I have heard stories of printers
                > > who will print this kind of thing offset, then hit it blind on the
                > > letterpress to create the impression that is desired.
                >
                > I tried this once a while ago. My shop's climate at the time was very
                > different than the climate of the offset shop I used. I couldn't hold
                > register because the sheet expanded about 3/32 of an inch on the 14
                > inch
                > side (the sheet was short grain legal size) when I brought it to my
                > shop.
                > What a nightmare. If you can monitor your climate or if your register
                > is
                > unimportant this may work--otherwise you might be in for a similar
                > surprise.
                >
                > Solids with small reverse text are difficult by letterpress. Can it
                > ever
                > look as even or as crisp as offset would? If I were in this situation I
                > would try running only slightly heavy on ink and adding tack reducer,
                > double
                > rolling the ink before heavy impression--and maybe send the sheet twice
                > through the press.
                >
                > Harold
                >

                > Boxcar Press
                > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
                > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
                > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com

                <image.tiff>

                <image.tiff>

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 16, 2004
                  John

                  The metaphor threw me at first but I guess I pretty much agree. I offer a certain kind of service. Period. I'm not interested in printing or typographic design or whatever just for the money. I guess that might be easier to say from the perspective of having done this for some time. But I'm not sure that should matter. Guess it depends. I sort of have the luxury of thinking, do I like this project? is it challenging? will I learn something here? Not that I don't need the rent money, just that I've gone without it being on time for so long that I realize that is not really the most important thing about all this. Not that I fully understand what is the most important thing about all this. Other folks have more defined rationale. I just like getting up in the morning and working at something I know how to do, can do it well, and kind of get a kick out of it all. And, of course, somehow, it pays the rent.

                  Gerald

                  Service.