Photos on Plates

  • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2004
      I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but if I bitmap a photo
      in photoshop, what settings should I use so that the image maintains
      its integrity when transfered to a photopolymer plate? Also, are there
      examples of results of photos printed on photopolymer out there on the
      web?

      Thanks in advance for you advice.

      Take care,

      Brandon Mise
      Blue Barnhouse
      Asheville NC

      www.bluebarnhouse.org
      www.emliterary.org
      828.225.3991
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2004
        Brandon

        I don't know that this has actually been covered here in depth before. I tend to shy away from the photograph since I don't really believe it to be empathic with the letterpress process. There is a tendency for the photograph to have a washed out look.

        Only nice alternative to this that I've found is to sort of appropriate it and make it your own. If you need an exact replication, bit out of my league, sorry. There are probably a number of folks who do this routinely and can give you the exact advice you need.

        But if anyone is interested in the "appropriation" thing... I've put an example of something we did a while back in the photos section here. It will be in the folder Bieler Press and the image has the name Kipling cover.

        Whenever I've done this in the past, what I've found to work out well is if you not only do the halftone at about 150 lpi but also a high contrast line rendition (b/w bitmap) of the same image. I print the line image first in a darker transparent color and run the halftone over this, in another variant transparent color. Requires a bit of fussing. Well, a lot of fussing. And in this particular incidence of the Kipling photo, we ran a third solid of touched transparent over the whole (which helps eradicate the dot pattern).

        Only thing that I know about actually rendering the photograph is that you need to pump up the contrast (but that the lightest gray level should be kept fairly high - about 20%) and it should be sharped more (unsharp mask) than normal when you are through with the adjustments. You can also do a bit of adjusting at the exposure stage to help with the sharpening, if need be. I doubt there is any one correct way to do this for all projects.

        Gerald

        > I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but if I bitmap a photo
        > in photoshop, what settings should I use so that the image maintains
        > its integrity when transfered to a photopolymer plate? Also, are there
        > examples of results of photos printed on photopolymer out there on the
        > web?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for you advice.
        >

        > Take care,
        >
        > Brandon Mise
        > Blue Barnhouse
        > Asheville NC
        >
        > www.bluebarnhouse.org
        > www.emliterary.org
        > 828.225.3991
      • Luc
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 3:56 AM
          Hello Brandon,

          Here's a link to information and galleries of photopolymer intaglio
          printing:

          http://www.artbag.dk/ge/uk/index.html

          Cheers,

          Luc Van Quickenborne
          Belgium

          http://www.inner-vision.tk

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, letpresslist@b... wrote:
          > I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but if I bitmap a
          photo
          > in photoshop, what settings should I use so that the image
          maintains
          > its integrity when transfered to a photopolymer plate? Also, are
          there
          > examples of results of photos printed on photopolymer out there on
          the
          > web?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for you advice.
          >

          > Take care,
          >
          > Brandon Mise
          > Blue Barnhouse
          > Asheville NC
          >
          > www.bluebarnhouse.org
          > www.emliterary.org
          > 828.225.3991
        • Ken Botnick
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15 10:46 AM
            Could someone, if not the printer himself, furnish Brad Hutchinson's email
            address for me? Thanks

            Ken Botnick