Miehle V-36

  • Jim Farley
    Message 1 of 17 , May 10, 2004
      Dear list,
      I have been watching this list for a little while, and was not aware there would be so many interested in letterpress. I have a small shop (emphasis on the word small) in Coxsackie NY, and I have an excess of machinery. I'm wanting to sell a Miehle Vertical V-36 (or maybe it's a 45) SEr. No. v9295. It's smooth, set up for diecutting. Needs adjustment. I don't have the patience to do it by myself, but it USED to feed and deliver fine, until i messed with the delivery gripper timing trying to run small stock.

      anyways I would like to let it go to a good home for 350 USD or thereabouts. that's negotiable. It still has the ink feed (which is in nice shape.

      There's nothing like the sound of it running...

      if anyone wants a reference, i sold a chandler and price manual feeder to
      this fellow a couple of years ago

      snelson@...

      Thanks!

      Jim
    • juliemackenzie2003
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26 12:41 PM
        Hello-

        I am contemplating purchasing this press and what to know if anyone
        has any experience with this type. I currently use a Vandercook 4 and
        C&P. The person who has it, has been printing on it for 50 years and
        besides a little exterior grime, seems to be working like a champ. (I
        think I can get him to teach me how to use as well) I am looking to
        purchase something like this or a heidelberg. This happens to be in
        the same town as I and already on a pallet and dont see any problems
        moving. I would like to know, what people think about the ease of
        running, learning curve, make ready and clean up of this press. I
        will be using a boxcar base and plates with it. Any advice would be
        greatly appreciated. I would like to larger runs of notecards and
        such on it.

        Thanks,
        Julie MacKenzie
        www.mackenziepress.com
      • speedgray@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26 1:10 PM
          Julie:

          A V-36 is a fine press. It is more basic than the V-45 or the V-50, yet does
          a fine job of printing. There are many differences between this machine and
          the ones you are used to. The biggest difference is the automatic feeder and
          delivery. The press will only run as good as the feeder is set-up, but once
          you master the feeder you will really enjoy running the press. Make sure that
          the voltage requirements of the motor are proper for where you will move it.
          The press can be moved easily with a pallet jack.

          I have run hundreds of thousands of impressions on a V-36, and it did a fine
          job. I was running mostly 60# coated one side label stock, but it seldom
          missed a sheet. I currently own a V-50. It is a bit "bigger, and more heavy
          duty" than the V-36. But, for your type of printing, it will do fine. You will
          also have to learn how to operate a "real" ink fountain, but that also will come
          with experience.

          You might want to check out MiehleVerticalWorld on Yahoo groups; that;s
          another place to get some answers to all the questions you will have.

          Go luck to you! I am sure you will find running the V-36 a pleasant
          experience.

          Speed Gray, APA 736
          Letterpress Green Sheet
          Ada, MI

        • juliemackenzie2003
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26 1:20 PM
            Thanks Speed.

            He has the ink fountain but doesnt use it, so I am sure I will need to
            figure that out. I need to go back and take a look. It seemed to me
            that it seemed a bit cumbersome to get in and clean the ink off. But
            maybe I just didnt look close enough. I will be printing on mostly
            soft 140 lb paper like somerset or magnani pescia. Do you foresee any
            problems feeding that type of paper

            It is set up with a 220, so that sould be no problem for me.

            Thanks again

            Julie
          • speedgray@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26 2:35 PM
              Julie:

              The ink fountain on all the various Miehle Vertical models is, in my
              opinion, the weak part of the press. Oh, the ink fountains work fine, but they have
              a few strange quirks. First, when the feeder is closed and in operating
              position, the ink fountain keys are somewhat difficult to get at. You'll get used
              to it. Second, when the press is idling over, but the fountain roller is
              activated, it continues to feed ink into the ink train via the ductor roller
              regardless if the press is feeding sheets and on impression or not. Therefore,
              very quickly you will learn to flip off the feed mechanism anytime you are not
              feeding sheets so as to not over ink the form.

              The fountain roller is powered via a long arm with a cam follower on the
              end, which is driven by a cam on the main drive shaft of the press. This
              arrangement works very well, just make sure that since the fountain has been
              removed, all the pieces are there to put everything back together.

              Many Miehle Vertical owners remove the ink fountain if they are just
              die-cutting, numbering, or scoring. If your forms do not have heavy coverage, you
              can just "dab on a little ink" and that will work too, like you do on your C&P.

              Because the V-36 is a true cylinder press, the paper must "wrap around" the
              cylinder to feed properly. Usually, when you buy your stock, you will want to
              lay out the form with the grain of the paper running parallel to the cylinder
              and gripper (long grain). However, is the paper is not "too" heavy, then
              running the grain short (snap grain) is okay too. There are some wheels under
              the transfer board to hold the sheet against the cylinder as the press is
              running to keep from marking the tail end of the sheet.

              You should remove the packing from the cylinder and check the condition. If
              the press has been used (or abused) for diecutting without a jacket, then the
              cylinder surface will have deep cuts in it. This should cause you to
              immediately "walk away." Light marks are okay, but the cylinder should be flat, no
              deep pitted rust marks, and not caved in as if the form had pied when the
              press was running (smash-up). It is acceptable to clean up the cylinder with some
              light emery if it's not too bad. The press requires .050 packing, and that
              can cover some flaws in the cylinder.

              The V-36 has a manual lubrication system. This press is also very old. I
              believe the V-36 press was phased out in the mid-30's when the V-45s were
              introduced. Just make sure the press turns over smoothly, that the bed ways are not
              scored, and that all parts move freely. You should be able to turn the press
              over easily by hand just by grabbing the flywheel on the side. Printers are
              notorious for not following prescribed lubrication recommendations. This
              press has certainly seen some abuse just because it is as old as it is.

              A good friend had two V-36s till he retired a year or so ago. Both were nice
              a tight, well cared for, and ran like dreams. Good V-36s are great presses.
              Poor ones are trash.

              I don't mean to stick my nose in your business, but a good price for a
              "nice" V-36 would be $500 or less. Free is better. I have been "given" V-36s and
              V-50s several times in the recent past, and have turned down many more. I just
              said "no" to a V-50 for $300. So, don't pay too much! Now, if the price
              includes some "training" by the owner for you, or moving the press, that's another
              matter.

              As Miehle liked to say in the advertisements years ago, that the Miehle
              Vertical made many printers rich people. It's a wonderful job press.

              Let me know what else you need to know.

              Best,

              Speed

            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26 3:41 PM
                I used to have a V-36 and thought it was great. I found myself doing
                a lot of work, however, that a cylinder cannot do, like tissue over a
                big form will distort, and of course if the paper is really stiff it
                won't go around a cylinder. It's a fine press, though, and should
                never break.

                --Scott

                On Jul 26, 2007, at 1:10 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

                > Julie:
                >
                > A V-36 is a fine press. It is more basic than the V-45 or the V-50,
                > yet does
                > a fine job of printing. There are many differences between this
                > machine and
                > the ones you are used to. The biggest difference is the automatic
                > feeder and
                > delivery. The press will only run as good as the feeder is set-up,
                > but once
                > you master the feeder you will really enjoy running the press.
                > Make sure that
                > the voltage requirements of the motor are proper for where you
                > will move it.
                > The press can be moved easily with a pallet jack.
                >
                > I have run hundreds of thousands of impressions on a V-36, and it
                > did a fine
                > job. I was running mostly 60# coated one side label stock, but it
                > seldom
                > missed a sheet. I currently own a V-50. It is a bit "bigger, and
                > more heavy
                > duty" than the V-36. But, for your type of printing, it will do
                > fine. You will
                > also have to learn how to operate a "real" ink fountain, but that
                > also will come
                > with experience.
                >
                > You might want to check out MiehleVerticalWorld on Yahoo groups;
                > that;s
                > another place to get some answers to all the questions you will have.
                >
                > Go luck to you! I am sure you will find running the V-36 a pleasant
                > experience.
                >

                > Speed Gray, APA 736
                > Letterpress Green Sheet
                > Ada, MI
              • nagraph1
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 26 3:51 PM
                  Some Miehle Vertical dates: V-36 introduced in March 1922, V-45
                  introduced late 1931 with serial number 7343, the pre-war version of
                  the V-50 introduced March, 1940 with serial number 11119. The post
                  war model had several design changes. Serial number 15,000 was
                  delivered in 1953. Then there was the X model, introduced about 1965-
                  66.

                  Fritz

                • speedgray@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 26 4:05 PM
                    Vertical dates. There you go Julie!

                    Speed

                  • bellky6030
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 26 4:16 PM
                      Memories, memories....I ran a V-50 many years ago (30+) at a label shop
                      in Kalamazoo, MI. All our stock was pressure sensitive, from .003
                      chrome mylar to .010 brushed aluminum to .005 white vynil. We used
                      mostly oil based inks but also ran some vynil based stuff that would
                      dry on the rollers while the press was running and took some really hot
                      solvent to clean.

                      We had one job that came in every 8 weeks or so. It was for a label to
                      go on a Lochinvar water heater: six colors, embossed, face-split, and
                      die cut on chrome mylar. All that for 300 run.

                      I remember the Meihle as a solid workhorse of a press; rarely had any
                      trouble as long as I kept it oiled.
                    • juliemackenzie2003
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 26 10:04 PM
                        Ahh.. Fantastic. Thats what I needed to read. I will go and take a
                        good lookover. Things I get too excited about since its so close to
                        home. As for price, no worries about sticking your nose in. Thats
                        what I wanted to hear as well. I asked him the price and he said the
                        same price for 3 different items. I dont think hes knows what to
                        charge.

                        Thanks for the serial number reference Fritz. I will take a look at
                        that as well.

                        Thanks for all the help.

                        Julie MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 26 10:42 PM
                          Hi Fritz

                          This is the same press I noted a month or two ago.
                          Still no luck getting the cylinder to turn when the core 'locking key' is in place.
                          I believe you mentioned the wooden bushings in this assembly.
                          I'm just wondering if there's any hope of getting this busted open, or if it's pretty much a lost cause...

                          The cylinder does turn if I remove the locking-key, but I don't know what the possible drawbacks of this would be....

                          Also, what sort of lubricant should go into the gearbox that drives the cylinder?

                          I drained the thing, and it is about the consistency of 30W motor oil (but black as pitch, I expect it had been in there for 50 years.)

                          many thanks for pointers!
                          ciao
                          peter
                          >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

                          Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
                          Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
                          Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                          http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 28 10:37 PM
                            Hi Julie, I purchased a V36 a little while ago and have been teaching
                            myself how to operate it (along with some very helpful tips from
                            several Vertical operators on the letterpress lists/groups). I just
                            ran my first job on the press not more than a week ago. I die-cut
                            some envelope liners for an invitation project I'm working on and
                            things went very well for my first attempt ever at die-cutting. The
                            press was honestly pretty easy to set up. The die-cutting job was
                            pretty intimidating, but once I started going through the steps to
                            setup the job everything went very well. I'm really looking forward
                            to spending more time on this press.

                            Mine came with a die-cutting jacket but no ink rollers or the
                            brackets/carriages that the hold the rollers. I had to track these
                            parts down. It did have the ink fountain which is sometimes missing
                            on these presses.

                            One of the things I upgraded on my press was adding modern Bigfoot
                            suckers. NA Graphics has them: http://tinyurl.com/3472uo

                            If you do purchase this press I highly suggest the following books:

                            Catalogue Of Parts, The Vertical Press
                            The Miehle Vertical, Presswork Lessons For Students Of Printing
                            A Handbook For The Operation Of The V-36 Miehle Vertical

                            All of these books are specific to the V-36 and have been extremely
                            helpful. You will have to search for these books as they are all out
                            of print. I was lucky enough to find some for good prices on Ebay.
                            Other good places to look would be www.abebooks.com and www.biblio.com.

                            I just checked and biblio.com has the Catalogue Of Parts: http://
                            tinyurl.com/2kj5ow

                            abebooks.com has the Catalogue Of Parts and The Miehle Vertical,
                            Presswork Lessons For Students Of Printing: http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b
                            These two books alone would be a wealth of information geared
                            specifically to that press.

                            In all I've been very happy with the press and enjoy running it. I'd
                            be happy to offer any help/advise, just let me know.
                            Kevin.
                          • Kevin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 28 10:41 PM
                              The links I supplied in my post got messed up. Let me try them again:

                              http://tinyurl.com/3472uo

                              http://tinyurl.com/2kj5ow

                              http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b

                              I hope these don't break this time. If so, you'll just have to copy/
                              paste I guess.

                              Kevin.
                            • nagraph1
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 29 1:37 AM
                                Here's a link to how the Big Foot feeder shoes are set up on a Miehle
                                Vertical, in this case the V-50. I feel they work much better with
                                less hassle than the original feeder shoes.

                                http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1282/936553051_4d48a85a4c_o.jpg

                                Fritz

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kevin <kevin@...> wrote:

                                > The links I supplied in my post got messed up. Let me try them again:
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/3472uo
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/2kj5ow
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b
                                >
                                > I hope these don't break this time. If so, you'll just have to copy/
                                > paste I guess.
                                >
                                > Kevin.

                              • Lance Williams
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  Hey Fritz,

                                  You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood in
                                  line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
                                  11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
                                  new directly from Miehle.

                                  We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS School
                                  for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
                                  their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
                                  $500).

                                  - Lance Williams
                                  Williams Stationery Co.
                                  Camden, New York
                                  APA #785

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                  > Some Miehle Vertical dates: V-36 introduced in March 1922, V-45
                                  > introduced late 1931 with serial number 7343, the pre-war version
                                  of
                                  > the V-50 introduced March, 1940 with serial number 11119. The post
                                  > war model had several design changes. Serial number 15,000 was
                                  > delivered in 1953. Then there was the X model, introduced about
                                  1965-
                                  > 66.
                                  >
                                  > Fritz
                                • nagraph1
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    Lance--what we are missing is a Miehle serial number list. We could
                                    start one with known serial numbers and the date they shipped. I
                                    found reference to a serial number like 15,000 in an Inland Printer
                                    from about 1952 as Miehle sent out a press release. I should have
                                    noted the numbers on the machines being put together when I toured
                                    the Miehle plant in 1962, but that wasn't in my list of things to do
                                    back then. I'm sure that there are Miehles out there with original
                                    paper work, or manuals with the numbers and dates written in that
                                    could give us a clue. The bulk of production was post war up until
                                    the late 50s. I think with the X model, introduced because of the
                                    check printers, that there was another surge of production. MICR
                                    imprinting started in the early 1960s and the Miehle Vertical was
                                    the press of choice and several hundreds of them went to Deluxe,
                                    Harland, etc., and each of those companies had multiple plants
                                    around the country.

                                    Fritz

                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
                                    <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

                                    > Hey Fritz,
                                    >
                                    > You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood
                                    in
                                    > line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
                                    > 11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
                                    > new directly from Miehle.
                                    >
                                    > We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS
                                    School
                                    > for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
                                    > their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
                                    > $500).
                                    >
                                    > - Lance Williams
                                    > Williams Stationery Co.
                                    > Camden, New York
                                    > APA #785

                                  • Lance Williams
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                      Fritz,

                                      When we get to cooler weather here, I'll go upstairs in the storehouse
                                      (extremely hot up there in the summer), and I'll bet in one of the filing
                                      cabinets up there are the original purchase invoices of the presses we
                                      have... If I can find them, it will be a place to start, anyway <grin>.

                                      - Lance