Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Photopolymer on Iron Handpress

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
      On 12/12/01 5:37 AM, "Michael McGarvey" <mcgarvem@...> wrote:
      > I would like to know more about using photopolymer with an iron handpress.
      > What
      > type of bases have folks used in this regard? The same type of magnetic bases
      > used for Vandercook ?

      Michael:

      Since the base & plate would be subject to less shearing compared to a
      Vandercook, the same base that works well on a Vandercook should work well
      on a hand press.

      The machining of the printing base will have to be very tight; specifically,
      the parallalism and flatness of the base will be crucial to maintaining
      consistent impression across the form. The non-magnetic base I sell, the
      Boxcar Base, usually has less than 5 ten-thousandths of an inch variation in
      thickness, flatness, and parallelism across their surface.

      I should mention that Buntings are also very well machined. But an advantage
      of the Boxcar Base is that you can purchase a much larger base for your
      money. As an example, I just fulfilled a custom order of a 19.5 x 16 inch
      anodized base for $580. This is less than the price of an 8.5x11 Bunting
      Base. Tight tolerances are very hard to hold over such a large aluminum
      surface, but this base turned out with less than 6 ten-thousandths of an
      inch variation in thickness, paralellism, and flatness.

      You can contact me off-list if you are interested in the price to
      manufacture a base to the size of your press bed.

      Harold

      Boxcar Press
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      www.boxcarpress.com