Andromaque & Aurora commission (was Re: Weiss, specifically Italic)

  • bookartscenter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 7:47 AM
      Dear Gerald & all

      Anyone looking for metal Weiss might get in touch with Wolfgang
      Hartmann. The catalogue we received from him 2 years ago listed Weiss,
      its italic, and its cursive/swash variants. It is my understanding that he is
      out of touch or out of the foundry 6 months of the year. Anyone? Please
      correct me if I'm mistaken.

      Gerald's suggestion of commissioning digital fonts from professional
      foundries gave new life to two ideas I've been sitting on, those two being
      the digitization of Victor Hammer's greek uncial Andromaque and the
      Aurora Uncial, his precursor to the American Uncial.

      Could anyone suggest foundries specifically interested in these sort of
      "restorative" projects? P22 comes to mind immediately mainly because 1)
      of their obvious historical interests, 2) they're are 'in the neighborhood so
      to speak (Aurora is how far from Buffalo?) and 3) I just Rich Kegler last
      week at our book arts symposium.

      My next question is, how does one start? Our interest in commissioning
      these digitizations would lie in their use for letterpress printing either as
      surrogates in our design process or full fledged substitutes (read
      'polymer') in the printing process. (These typefaces in their metal forms
      are archival nature, and there's only so much to use for small projects
      with very short runs. I'm not printing 2000 holiday cards for the President's
      office using the real stuff, Victor's type.) Our use for letterpress printing
      would also restrict their optimal or base sizes. (Again, correct me here
      folks. I know how to use type, and I even know how to make the stuff in
      metal, but I'm pretty fresh out the can when it comes to the digital
      manufacture & its history.) We've Aurora in 16-point, and Andromaque
      was cast on a 14-point (?) body. Andromaque by the way is long overdue
      for a good look by the digital type foundries - Hammer's best I think.

      Finally, what might a commission cost? The actualization of such a
      project just might be a grant proposal or two away. I'd like to hear what you
      all think - publicly or privately. Who knows, this may get a ball rolling.

      yours in lead, ink & pixels

      Terry Chouinard
      Wells Book Arts Center
      Aurora-on-Cayuga, New York