Re: Weiss, specifically Italic

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8 12:41 PM
      Michael

      An additional thought on this re casting the Weiss.

      I have a rough idea of how much it would cost to cast a significant amount of the Weiss (still available, is it not?), enough, that is, to be relatively useful for a number of printing projects, in various sizes, etc. I picked up a similar European foundry face casting (not Weiss) so I do know somewhat the expense.

      But there is the possibility of commissioning a digital font from a professional foundry such as FontBureau exactly to your liking, technically and aesthetically, at far less than what you would have to pay to have it cast. Commissioned fonts are the bread and butter of many of the smaller foundries. As part of a project we had this done once and it worked out quite well.

      And, while you are at it, enter into a licensing agreement with FontBureau so they can market it, you can pick up residuals, and the rest of us can benefit from your largess!!!

      Gerald
    • Jeffrey Loop
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10 4:01 AM
        Weiss Roman is not available from any of the American metal foundries, at least according to "Typefaces Available from U.S.Foundries" on the AAPA website. Nor is it listed on the Stempel site (a longshot but I checked anyway). Bauer is still in business as Fundición Tipográfica Bauer, but I don't know whether they are still casting metal.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10 11:32 PM
          Jeffrey

          Neufville-Bauersche is still casting from some of their holdings but I
          believe not all the Weiss is available. The website address is

          http://www.neufville.com/uk/start_uk.htm

          But this will only get you to their holdings. which are slated for
          digitization. But that probably won't happen.

          An email to

          Bauer@...

          will provide information about casting particulars to any interested.

          At one time Castcraft (of Chicago/NY Division) was an agent for
          Neufville and would facilitate orders but...

          Not much interest in buying good metal foundry I'm afraid, or the
          foundries would still be around. But then, the same circumstances
          applies to good digital type.

          Gerald