Re: Weiss, specifically Italic

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2004
      Michael

      Weiss was the unfortunate victim of the early mass conversion of various existant libraries to the digital formats. The Adobe Weiss is actually not Adobe but is cross-licensed from Linotype (or ITC or Compugraphic?) and most likely based on either the earlier analog stuff or the photofilm version. So, having gone through a number of interpretations and never having been given a good second look, yeah, its not a very useful digital font. Up until relatively recently, Optima suffered the same fate, but it has been redone, under Zapf's guidance.

      The various initialen, decorative, and fraktur variants of Weiss though, have been scanned by Dieter Speffmann, and while they still require a bit of work in the setting and some letterform adjustment, they are fairly nice renderings. typOasis had a relatively complete Speffmann archives up for awhile

      On the other hand, I don't know why one would expect a digital face to be exactly like its metal type ancestor, since the printing technologies are so different. What works well with one isn't going to work well with the other. The fact that WE would like to be able to use perfect renditions for letterpress doesn't matter a whit to the foundries, nor should it, as we do not represent, in any way, a viable market.

      The Neufville digitization took a wrong turn when they misinterpreted the direction of digital type "fashion" and concentrated on the more funkier stuff, which at the time didn't give them any kind of edge. Especially unfortunate now, since their holdings are so remarkable and the interest in traditional/classical faces has grown significantly in the last several years.

      There are some quite good digital faces out there, just not Weiss. Not yet. Rather than sucking, I'd say digital is somewhat of a saving grace. After all, if you wanted the metal Weiss, why not just have it cast? Why blame digital?

      Gerald

      > is anyone aware of an accurate digital emulation of Weiss Italic being
      > available?
      >
      > it appears that Visualogik's efforts to digitize the more classic
      faces of
      > Neufville/Bauer has stalled, and the current selection i have found
      by the
      > major 'type foundries' in the course of not very diligent search are all
      > woefully inaccurate bastardizations.
      >
      > which leads me back to a well flogged, but oft misinterpreted statement:
      > digital sucks. not because the technology inherently sucks. it's just a
      > tool/storage medium. i embrace its judicious use.
      >
      > more at the fact that egregious liberties are taken with designs in
      their
      > transfer to digital.
      >
      > anyone who possesses a Bauer foundry specimen should compare it to, say,
      > Adobe's version. Adobe's caps are a sloped roman obviously canted
      from the
      > roman version, and as such almost every character is entirely
      incorrect. how
      > did this happen? despite that, they even speak of the beauty of the
      italic
      > in their typeface notes as if this were in fact the design drawn by
      Dr. Weiß

      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2004
        Michael

        An additional thought on this re casting the Weiss.

        I have a rough idea of how much it would cost to cast a significant amount of the Weiss (still available, is it not?), enough, that is, to be relatively useful for a number of printing projects, in various sizes, etc. I picked up a similar European foundry face casting (not Weiss) so I do know somewhat the expense.

        But there is the possibility of commissioning a digital font from a professional foundry such as FontBureau exactly to your liking, technically and aesthetically, at far less than what you would have to pay to have it cast. Commissioned fonts are the bread and butter of many of the smaller foundries. As part of a project we had this done once and it worked out quite well.

        And, while you are at it, enter into a licensing agreement with FontBureau so they can market it, you can pick up residuals, and the rest of us can benefit from your largess!!!

        Gerald
      • Jeffrey Loop
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          Weiss Roman is not available from any of the American metal foundries, at least according to "Typefaces Available from U.S.Foundries" on the AAPA website. Nor is it listed on the Stempel site (a longshot but I checked anyway). Bauer is still in business as Fundición Tipográfica Bauer, but I don't know whether they are still casting metal.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2004
            Jeffrey

            Neufville-Bauersche is still casting from some of their holdings but I
            believe not all the Weiss is available. The website address is

            http://www.neufville.com/uk/start_uk.htm

            But this will only get you to their holdings. which are slated for
            digitization. But that probably won't happen.

            An email to

            Bauer@...

            will provide information about casting particulars to any interested.

            At one time Castcraft (of Chicago/NY Division) was an agent for
            Neufville and would facilitate orders but...

            Not much interest in buying good metal foundry I'm afraid, or the
            foundries would still be around. But then, the same circumstances
            applies to good digital type.

            Gerald