Weiss, specifically Italic

  • michael babcock|interrobang
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2004
      is anyone aware of an accurate digital emulation of Weiss Italic being
      available?

      it appears that Visualogik's efforts to digitize the more classic faces of
      Neufville/Bauer has stalled, and the current selection i have found by the
      major 'type foundries' in the course of not very diligent search are all
      woefully inaccurate bastardizations.

      which leads me back to a well flogged, but oft misinterpreted statement:
      digital sucks. not because the technology inherently sucks. it's just a
      tool/storage medium. i embrace its judicious use.

      more at the fact that egregious liberties are taken with designs in their
      transfer to digital.

      anyone who possesses a Bauer foundry specimen should compare it to, say,
      Adobe's version. Adobe's caps are a sloped roman obviously canted from the
      roman version, and as such almost every character is entirely incorrect. how
      did this happen? despite that, they even speak of the beauty of the italic
      in their typeface notes as if this were in fact the design drawn by Dr. Weiß
      which it absolutely is not.

      see: http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/F/WSSQ/F_WSSQ-10005300.jhtml

      so, go hug your platemaker while asking yourself, why might digital suck?

      --
      best, m | interrobang
    • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2004
        Michael

        Try finding a specimen book with a sample of Weiss you approve of, scan each
        character, save them as an eps, and then run them through Fontographer. With
        all the bitching you do about digital, I should think by now you would have
        learned to work with the tools at hand. It may take you some time to get
        what you¹re looking for, but at least you can then give us all a break from
        the digital sucks rants...

        Cheers,
        Bryan

        bryan hutcheson

        manifesto letterpress
        116 pleasant st. #2245
        easthampton, ma 01027

        p/f: 413.529.0009
        http://www.manifestopress.com

        Custom Letterpress Printing & Design
        ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
        Announcements ­ Stationery ­ Packaging

        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2004
          Michael

          Weiss was the unfortunate victim of the early mass conversion of various existant libraries to the digital formats. The Adobe Weiss is actually not Adobe but is cross-licensed from Linotype (or ITC or Compugraphic?) and most likely based on either the earlier analog stuff or the photofilm version. So, having gone through a number of interpretations and never having been given a good second look, yeah, its not a very useful digital font. Up until relatively recently, Optima suffered the same fate, but it has been redone, under Zapf's guidance.

          The various initialen, decorative, and fraktur variants of Weiss though, have been scanned by Dieter Speffmann, and while they still require a bit of work in the setting and some letterform adjustment, they are fairly nice renderings. typOasis had a relatively complete Speffmann archives up for awhile

          On the other hand, I don't know why one would expect a digital face to be exactly like its metal type ancestor, since the printing technologies are so different. What works well with one isn't going to work well with the other. The fact that WE would like to be able to use perfect renditions for letterpress doesn't matter a whit to the foundries, nor should it, as we do not represent, in any way, a viable market.

          The Neufville digitization took a wrong turn when they misinterpreted the direction of digital type "fashion" and concentrated on the more funkier stuff, which at the time didn't give them any kind of edge. Especially unfortunate now, since their holdings are so remarkable and the interest in traditional/classical faces has grown significantly in the last several years.

          There are some quite good digital faces out there, just not Weiss. Not yet. Rather than sucking, I'd say digital is somewhat of a saving grace. After all, if you wanted the metal Weiss, why not just have it cast? Why blame digital?

          Gerald

          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2004
            Michael

            An additional thought on this re casting the Weiss.

            I have a rough idea of how much it would cost to cast a significant amount of the Weiss (still available, is it not?), enough, that is, to be relatively useful for a number of printing projects, in various sizes, etc. I picked up a similar European foundry face casting (not Weiss) so I do know somewhat the expense.

            But there is the possibility of commissioning a digital font from a professional foundry such as FontBureau exactly to your liking, technically and aesthetically, at far less than what you would have to pay to have it cast. Commissioned fonts are the bread and butter of many of the smaller foundries. As part of a project we had this done once and it worked out quite well.

            And, while you are at it, enter into a licensing agreement with FontBureau so they can market it, you can pick up residuals, and the rest of us can benefit from your largess!!!

            Gerald
          • Jeffrey Loop
            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2004
              Weiss Roman is not available from any of the American metal foundries, at least according to "Typefaces Available from U.S.Foundries" on the AAPA website. Nor is it listed on the Stempel site (a longshot but I checked anyway). Bauer is still in business as Fundición Tipográfica Bauer, but I don't know whether they are still casting metal.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2004
                Jeffrey

                Neufville-Bauersche is still casting from some of their holdings but I
                believe not all the Weiss is available. The website address is

                http://www.neufville.com/uk/start_uk.htm

                But this will only get you to their holdings. which are slated for
                digitization. But that probably won't happen.

                An email to

                Bauer@...

                will provide information about casting particulars to any interested.

                At one time Castcraft (of Chicago/NY Division) was an agent for
                Neufville and would facilitate orders but...

                Not much interest in buying good metal foundry I'm afraid, or the
                foundries would still be around. But then, the same circumstances
                applies to good digital type.

                Gerald