Interesting thread at Typophile

    Message 1 of 5 , May 6 2:51 PM
      Of possible interest to some of the members here is a current thread at

      http://www.typophile.com/forums

      on Transitions from metal to digital

      This can be found in the General Discussions area of the forums. If
      you are not already a member of Typophile you will have to register to
      view and contribute to the various discussions there. (Take a look at
      the Books section as well.)

      The earlier part of this thread has been archived already but the
      current discussion has been quite stimulating. Letterpress concerns
      pop up on Typophile on a fairly regular basis and because the
      membership consists of type designers, typographers, etc it can get
      quite interesting.

      Gerald
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9 1:03 PM
        On 5/6/04 5:51 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
        > Of possible interest to some of the members here is a current thread at
        > http://www.typophile.com/forums
        > on Transitions from metal to digital

        I had posted into this typephile.com discussion asking Gerald a question
        which apparently got lost in the 130 posts (interesting discussion, by the
        way). Since the question I asked is probably more relevant to the
        PPLetterpress list, I have Gerald's permission to try striking it up again
        here.

        Gerald had mentioned that photopolymer creates gain of 5% from the original
        artwork, but to my surprise he credited the platemaking process rather than
        the presswork with the increase. I take this to mean that a 1 point line is
        actually 1.05 points on the actual plate.

        The main reason I objected was my experience printing the same plate on
        coated and uncoated paper. Noticeable gain results when the plate has
        sufficient ink and pressure to transfer to the uncoated paper. When
        registered to the film negative on a light box, the artwork appears more
        heavy than the neg under magnification. However, the artwork of the proof
        pulled on coated paper appears to be the same size as the film exactly.

        Theoretically, the 5% gain during platemaking means that a 10 point line is
        10.5 points, which strikes me as counter-intuitive. Wouldn¹t gain in the
        platemaking gain be absolute, and not vary depending on the thickness of the
        line? I'm curious why a 10 point line would increase 0.5 points while a 1
        point line would increase only 0.05. Wouldn't the plate would become convex
        from such gain? This logic would also frustrate halftones, as 5% gain in a
        200 line screen is a big problem.

        At this point, I'm still somewhat curious the origin of this 5% number. But
        I'm especially curious to what extent Gerald and others believe in ink gain
        occurs on press, and how that compares with the gain that occurs during
        platemaking (if such a thing exists!).

        Thanks,
        Harold

        Boxcar Press
      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9 1:40 PM
          Harold,

          I don't believe there HAS to be a 5% gain, or for that matter any gain,
          between the neg and the polymer plate. There CAN be a very slight gain
          between the "art" and film. There definitely is gain between the plate and
          the paper printed, depending on many factors.

          My humble thought,

          Regis

          > Of possible interest to some of the members here is a current thread at
          > http://www.typophile.com/forums
          > on Transitions from metal to digital

          I had posted into this typephile.com discussion asking Gerald a question
          which apparently got lost in the 130 posts (interesting discussion, by the
          way). Since the question I asked is probably more relevant to the
          PPLetterpress list, I have Gerald's permission to try striking it up again
          here.

          Gerald had mentioned that photopolymer creates gain of 5% from the original
          artwork, but to my surprise he credited the platemaking process rather than
          the presswork with the increase. I take this to mean that a 1 point line is
          actually 1.05 points on the actual plate.

          The main reason I objected was my experience printing the same plate on
          coated and uncoated paper. Noticeable gain results when the plate has
          sufficient ink and pressure to transfer to the uncoated paper. When
          registered to the film negative on a light box, the artwork appears more
          heavy than the neg under magnification. However, the artwork of the proof
          pulled on coated paper appears to be the same size as the film exactly.

          Theoretically, the 5% gain during platemaking means that a 10 point line is
          10.5 points, which strikes me as counter-intuitive. Wouldn¹t gain in the
          platemaking gain be absolute, and not vary depending on the thickness of the
          line? I'm curious why a 10 point line would increase 0.5 points while a 1
          point line would increase only 0.05. Wouldn't the plate would become convex
          from such gain? This logic would also frustrate halftones, as 5% gain in a
          200 line screen is a big problem.

          At this point, I'm still somewhat curious the origin of this 5% number. But
          I'm especially curious to what extent Gerald and others believe in ink gain
          occurs on press, and how that compares with the gain that occurs during
          platemaking (if such a thing exists!).

          Thanks,
          Harold

          Boxcar Press

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          . Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          . To unsubscribe:
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9 4:14 PM
            Harold

            I went back through my notebook to see if I could verify this. My initial thinking, as I mentioned, was that this might have been something to do with older liquid photopolymer. I did find the technical measurement term for this, "minimum optical density." This, of course, is varied by plate thickness, hardness, formulation, etc. Dmin for short. Dmin has been used by the proponents of filmless plate processing as one of the measures of its superiority. Their other claim, which is much more intriguing, is that photopolymerization is clarified with oxygen. Apparently, without the obstruction of film (and vacuum sheet) more oxygen can get to the photopolymer during processing, providing more fidelity to the image. Don't have much information on this yet. I suppose the imaging device is a tad expensive.

            But I don't disagree that gain is part of the printing process. I think I mentioned that as well, at some point, in the Typophile thread. We all know, through simple observation, that there can be substantial gain in letterpress, whether metal or photopolymer. My comment was intended to say that there was also some measurable gain to the plate prior to presswork. Quite frankly, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some sort of variable than if there was none at all.

            I'm not certain how that up to "5%" is measured in terms of image gain, at least in the way you have speculated (non-uniform gain), which I don't quite understand. I would think it would be a uniform gain. But since surface area size itself does to some extent control relief patterning, and because there is a certain non-uniformity to that (it's called "wicking" variance I think), could very well be, don't know for sure.

            Gerald

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12 7:15 AM
              On 5/9/04 7:14 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
              > We all know, through simple observation, that there can be substantial gain in
              > letterpress, whether metal or photopolymer. My comment was intended to say
              > that there was also some measurable gain to the plate prior to presswork.
              > Quite frankly, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some sort of variable
              > than if there was none at all.

              I finally got a chance to speak with my technical support at Jet about this.
              I should mention that he answered his phone in a Biergarten in Dusseldorf. I
              think he was enjoying Drupa! I asked him about shrinkage or expansion of the
              polymer during processing, and responded with several points:
              - You can never have a plate match exactly the film, there will always be,
              if only at a microscopic level, some variance.
              - During the washout process, the plate's surface expands as it absorbs
              water. The drying process removes this water and serves to restore the plate
              to its original size. A plate that isn't dry enough would be larger than the
              original film's artwork and a plate that's too dry would be smaller--it
              would have contracted.
              - Provided the plate has been dried to the manufacturer's specifications,
              the plate should actually contract slightly. Imperceptibly slightly. He gave
              the example that a 1% dot on a halftone screen would, on the plate, be more
              like a 0.99%. The difference in size is 0.01%.
              - Many other variables are at play, including the color of the plate, its
              thickness, etc. When he gave numbers, he was speaking about the Jet 94FL and
              Jet 94SB.

              So that's Jet's take on the issue. I would be interested to hear how this
              compares to what other manufacturers say. In the meantime I'll tentatively
              plan to sleep more easily!

              Harold

              Boxcar Press