Re: [PPLetterpress] Grain direction for wine labels

  • Roderick
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2004
      Hello Mark,

      Thanks for the clarification! Roderick

      --- sonomaprinters <sonomaprinters@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2004
        Mark

        I guess you would be the person to ask. Is there regulation of wine
        label design and printing? Size of label, colors that can be used,
        etc? I had been told that once, and since most labels are quite
        similar, makes sense. But if so, where would one find these regulations?

        Gerald

        > I've been making wine labels in the Napa Valley for the last 20
        years and it is
        > highly recommended that the grain of the paper goes across the
        bottle (left to
        > right) and not up and down as previously mentioned. The glue holds
        better.
        > Good luck.
        >
        > Mark West Bauder
        > Sonoma Printers
      • Roderick
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2004
          Mark,

          Can you also comment upon various glue adhesives that
          the letterpress printer can use? And recommendations
          on where to acquire pressure-sensitive label stock.

          Roderick

          --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
          > Mark
          >
          > I guess you would be the person to ask. Is there
          > regulation of wine
          > label design and printing? Size of label, colors
          > that can be used,
          > etc? I had been told that once, and since most
          > labels are quite
          > similar, makes sense. But if so, where would one
          > find these regulations?
          >
          > Gerald
          >

          > > I've been making wine labels in the Napa Valley
          > for the last 20
          > years and it is
          > > highly recommended that the grain of the paper
          > goes across the
          > bottle (left to
          > > right) and not up and down as previously
          > mentioned. The glue holds
          > better.
          > > Good luck.
          > >
          > > Mark West Bauder
          > > Sonoma Printers

        • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2004
            Hey everyone

            I print labels for a brewery here on the east coast, Cisco Brewers on
            Nantucket. There are samples pics of a couple of the labels up on my website
            www.manifestopress.com .

            I print the labels on an 80# opaque sheet and they cold glue them to the
            bottle. The winery and distillery that is also affiliated with Cisco, uses
            pressure sensitive stock. Any paper house should have the paper you are
            looking for. XPEDX, is also a good source. If you can find one of their walk
            in locations, you can actually purchase the stock right off the shelf. There
            are three of these locations here in Massachusetts.

            Cheers,
            Bryan

            bryan hutcheson

            manifesto letterpress