Grain direction for wine labels

  • sonomaprinters
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2004
      Hi Roderick,

      I've been making wine labels in the Napa Valley for the last 20 years and it is
      highly recommended that the grain of the paper goes across the bottle (left to
      right) and not up and down as previously mentioned. The glue holds better.
      Good luck.

      Mark West Bauder
      Sonoma Printers
    • Roderick
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2004
        Hello Mark,

        Thanks for the clarification! Roderick

        --- sonomaprinters <sonomaprinters@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2004
          Mark

          I guess you would be the person to ask. Is there regulation of wine
          label design and printing? Size of label, colors that can be used,
          etc? I had been told that once, and since most labels are quite
          similar, makes sense. But if so, where would one find these regulations?

          Gerald

          > I've been making wine labels in the Napa Valley for the last 20
          years and it is
          > highly recommended that the grain of the paper goes across the
          bottle (left to
          > right) and not up and down as previously mentioned. The glue holds
          better.
          > Good luck.
          >
          > Mark West Bauder
          > Sonoma Printers
        • Roderick
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2004
            Mark,

            Can you also comment upon various glue adhesives that
            the letterpress printer can use? And recommendations
            on where to acquire pressure-sensitive label stock.

            Roderick

            --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
            > Mark
            >
            > I guess you would be the person to ask. Is there
            > regulation of wine
            > label design and printing? Size of label, colors
            > that can be used,
            > etc? I had been told that once, and since most
            > labels are quite
            > similar, makes sense. But if so, where would one
            > find these regulations?
            >
            > Gerald
            >

            > > I've been making wine labels in the Napa Valley
            > for the last 20
            > years and it is
            > > highly recommended that the grain of the paper
            > goes across the
            > bottle (left to
            > > right) and not up and down as previously
            > mentioned. The glue holds
            > better.
            > > Good luck.
            > >
            > > Mark West Bauder
            > > Sonoma Printers

          • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2004
              Hey everyone

              I print labels for a brewery here on the east coast, Cisco Brewers on
              Nantucket. There are samples pics of a couple of the labels up on my website
              www.manifestopress.com .

              I print the labels on an 80# opaque sheet and they cold glue them to the
              bottle. The winery and distillery that is also affiliated with Cisco, uses
              pressure sensitive stock. Any paper house should have the paper you are
              looking for. XPEDX, is also a good source. If you can find one of their walk
              in locations, you can actually purchase the stock right off the shelf. There
              are three of these locations here in Massachusetts.

              Cheers,
              Bryan

              bryan hutcheson

              manifesto letterpress