Re: [PPLetterpress]

  • Roderick
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Michael (et al):

      I'm printing black and burgandy for one set and black
      and goldenrod for another set. If I place black down
      first, then burgandy (goldenrod) will trapping at 1/2
      (assuming I'm registered) show all that much. Should
      the client decide how much trapping I need? I'm
      assuming not because I'm printing and not him, I need
      to decide is how much overhang is acceptable to me. Am
      I correct?

      I've printed a few two color jobs with colors in no
      particular order and never specified trapping because
      I just registered. Should I be putting down the
      lighter color first then black or vice-versa?

      Many thanks, Roderick

      --- Michael Barnes <mjbarnes@...> wrote:
      > Traps in offset printing are frequently .25 point
      > (quarter point).
      > Unless black is overprinting, a colour trapping
      > under black can be
      > considerably more (half a point) since it won't show
      > much. Nowadays we
      > trap even less -- around .125 pt -- because we are
      > imaging to direct to
      > plate, which has improved registration.
      >
      > Of course I don't know if numbers that work in
      > offset also work for
      > letterpress. But a 2 pt trap is certainly big. Many
      > rules and text
      > characters are themselves thinner, or not much
      > broader than this, and
      > if the trap is coming in from all directions, such a
      > large number will
      > effectively result in an overprint.
      >
      > Michael Barnes

    • Gary Mordhorst
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        Print your color (burgundy or goldenrod) first and print black on top of the
        color. Keep your trap at 1/2 point, or overprint, based upon the nature of
        the image.

        Black ink has enough density to overprint most colors. The big exception to
        this is in the case of metallic inks, which have metal shavings in the ink,
        making them more opaque than black.

        Gary Mordhorst
        AccuColor Plus, Inc.
        www.accucolor.com

        on 5/1/04 11:33 AM, Roderick at rxchow@... wrote:

        Michael (et al):

        I'm printing black and burgandy for one set and black
        and goldenrod for another set. If I place black down
        first, then burgandy (goldenrod) will trapping at 1/2
        (assuming I'm registered) show all that much. Should
        the client decide how much trapping I need? I'm
        assuming not because I'm printing and not him, I need
        to decide is how much overhang is acceptable to me. Am
        I correct?

        I've printed a few two color jobs with colors in no
        particular order and never specified trapping because
        I just registered. Should I be putting down the
        lighter color first then black or vice-versa?

        Many thanks, Roderick

        --- Michael Barnes <mjbarnes@...> wrote:
        > Traps in offset printing are frequently .25 point
        > (quarter point).
        > Unless black is overprinting, a colour trapping
        > under black can be
        > considerably more (half a point) since it won't show
        > much. Nowadays we
        > trap even less -- around .125 pt -- because we are
        > imaging to direct to
        > plate, which has improved registration.
        >
        > Of course I don't know if numbers that work in
        > offset also work for
        > letterpress. But a 2 pt trap is certainly big. Many
        > rules and text
        > characters are themselves thinner, or not much
        > broader than this, and
        > if the trap is coming in from all directions, such a
        > large number will
        > effectively result in an overprint.
        >
        > Michael Barnes

        • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        • Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        • To unsubscribe:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fbo998/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups
        /S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1083515642/A=1874383/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*htt
        p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch"; var
        link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile =
        'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_pdt_lrec_01.s
        wf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fbo998/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups
        /S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1083515642/A=1874383/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*ht
        tp://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch"; var lrec_altimg =
        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_pdt_lrec_01.g
        if"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Roderick
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2004
          Thank you everyone for sharing your wisdom.

          Best, Roderick

        • Michael Barnes
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2004
            Dear Roderick,

            I see that other better printers have answered the question of which
            ink to print first. I would only add that you should not ask your
            client about nor mention trap in any way to him. It is a technical
            subject that will only cause him worry. We have all looked at printed
            material all our lives without noticing trap (or kerns for that matter)
            unless these subjects were brought to our attention.

            Michael Barnes

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2004
              Roderick

              One other consideration, in the sequencing of the way you lay down
              colors (an after thought), is the tack of the ink. The first color
              down should have more tack than the next. Difficult in that the
              lighter colors, which need to be laid down first are generally those
              with the less tack. It's not all that hard to alter viscosity but a
              slight problem since the black is the last to be printed and is
              usually a stiffer ink...

              Gerald