Re: [PPLetterpress] Book recommendations

  • Carole Aldrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
      I agree that Real World Scanning is a great book. For design and
      layout, I also recommend Robin William's Design Workshop and Design
      for Non-Designers both from Peachpit Press. Also for print production,
      47 Printing Headaches and How to avoid them by Linda Sanders from North
      Light Books, Avoiding the Output Blues by Taz Tally from Prentice Hall
      PTR, and for type, Digital Type Design Guide by Sean Cavanaugh from
      Hayden Books. Of course, once she gets her feet wet, Robert
      Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style.

      Carole A.

      On Apr 27, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

      > I'm looking for recommendations for "summer reading" for a new
      > employee that
      > we're hiring in a few months. She's a printmaker with no experience
      > in the
      > commercial printing world and I'd like to give her an accessible
      > overview to
      > designing layouts for printing. Ideally the book would cover such
      > topics as
      > color separations, different types of file formats, how typefaces
      > work, what
      > postscript can and cannot do, etc. I like how _Real World Scanning and
      > Halftones_ reads (and will certainly use this book) but it leaves out
      > a lot
      > of issues relevant to the "real world" of printing. Does anyone on
      > this list
      > have any thoughts for a good read?
      > Thanks,
      > Harold
      > Boxcar Press
      > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
      > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
      > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com
      > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > � Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > � To unsubscribe: