Book recommendations

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
      I'm looking for recommendations for "summer reading" for a new employee that
      we're hiring in a few months. She's a printmaker with no experience in the
      commercial printing world and I'd like to give her an accessible overview to
      designing layouts for printing. Ideally the book would cover such topics as
      color separations, different types of file formats, how typefaces work, what
      postscript can and cannot do, etc. I like how _Real World Scanning and
      Halftones_ reads (and will certainly use this book) but it leaves out a lot
      of issues relevant to the "real world" of printing. Does anyone on this list
      have any thoughts for a good read?

      Thanks,
      Harold

      Boxcar Press
    • Tony Kranz
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
        Try: http://www.gain.net/store/

        It is on the Graphic Arts Information Network website, the Printing Industry of America parent.

        They sell the trusty Pocket Pal.

        Best,

        Tony

        > From: Harold Kyle <harold@...>
        > Date: 2004/04/27 Tue PM 03:56:22 EDT
        > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Book recommendations

      • Carole Aldrich
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
          I agree that Real World Scanning is a great book. For design and
          layout, I also recommend Robin William's Design Workshop and Design
          for Non-Designers both from Peachpit Press. Also for print production,
          47 Printing Headaches and How to avoid them by Linda Sanders from North
          Light Books, Avoiding the Output Blues by Taz Tally from Prentice Hall
          PTR, and for type, Digital Type Design Guide by Sean Cavanaugh from
          Hayden Books. Of course, once she gets her feet wet, Robert
          Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style.

          Carole A.

          On Apr 27, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

          > I'm looking for recommendations for "summer reading" for a new
          > employee that
          > we're hiring in a few months. She's a printmaker with no experience
          > in the
          > commercial printing world and I'd like to give her an accessible
          > overview to
          > designing layouts for printing. Ideally the book would cover such
          > topics as
          > color separations, different types of file formats, how typefaces
          > work, what
          > postscript can and cannot do, etc. I like how _Real World Scanning and
          > Halftones_ reads (and will certainly use this book) but it leaves out
          > a lot
          > of issues relevant to the "real world" of printing. Does anyone on
          > this list
          > have any thoughts for a good read?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Harold
          >

          > Boxcar Press
          > Fine Printing / Digital Letterpress Supplies
          > Delavan Center / 501 W. Fayette St. / Studio 222 / Syracuse, NY� 13204
          > 315-473-0930 phone / 315-473-0967 fax / www.boxcarpress.com
          >

          > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > � Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > � To unsubscribe: