Re: [PPLetterpress] Unsubscribed and non-subscribed members

  • Harold "Jay" Kyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 21, 2001
      Erik et al:

      The glass-topped contact frames are still used for alt-process photography.
      They're for sale at www.bostick-sullivan.com and explained at
      http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg/photo/faq.html#Light. Basically a negative and
      photo paper are sandwiched under piece of glass over the light source.

      I don't think that alt-process photographers have to worry about static
      electricity affecting the contact between the negative and plate as much as
      we do. They often are exposing paper, after all, which tends to cling to
      plastic negs.

      Also, alt-process usually uses continuous tone negs which are usually much
      muddier than our crisp linotronic negatives--they don't have to worry about
      hairlines or dot gain.

      All this to say that if you care about the quality of your (expensive)
      photopolymer plates, you should not use an exposure unit for alt-process.
      You need a vacuum and you should try to use kreene, which will minimize
      light distortion. I sell the kreene at $1 per square foot. Kreene needs to
      be replaced periodically because it loses its plasticity and can soil up.
      Oh, and I also have a few extra vacuum pumps laying around--make an offer.

      Harold Kyle

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Boxcar Press
      Fine printing and binding ~ Digital letterpress supplies.
      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
      315 423 7489 tel/fax
      http://www.boxcarpress.com
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    • D. McNaughton
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2001
        I am just exploring the possibilities of of PP again. In the early 80's I
        had a processing unit but after the last 18 years or so in offset I am
        coming back to letterpress with the intention of having a small hobby
        business. For this reason I cannot justify the cost of a commercial unit so
        was wondering if any one could help with plans of a vacuum frame or any
        suggestions on how to make one.

        David McNaughton

        Toora Australia

        > From: "Harold \"Jay\" Kyle" <harold@...>
        > Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:30:43 -0400
        > to say that if you care about the quality of your (expensive)
        > photopolymer plates, you should not use an exposure unit for alt-process.
        > You need a vacuum and you should try to use kreene, which will minimize
        > light distortion. I sell the kreene at $1 per square foot. Kreene needs to
        > be replaced periodically because it loses its plasticity and can soil up.
        > Oh, and I also have a few extra vacuum pumps laying around--make an offer.
        >
        > Harold Kyle

      • Sue Ereio
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
          There are plans available on the site www.polymerplates.com

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "D. McNaughton" <dmac@d...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
            Sue

            Thanks for the tip but that link doesn't work, did you mean?

            http://www.photopolymerplates.com/

            I don't indend to be snotty by this comment, but it is never "polymer" or poly," photopolymer" is the proper word. The correct term will save folks a lot of grief in searching for information on the web.

            And by this I don't mean to start up a controversy similar to the one awhile back concerning the use of "letterpresser" or "letterpressed." :—)

            In the Files section here is a very useful article by Brian Allen on building a
            homemade photopolymer plate processing system: