Color Trapping and Letterpress

  • rxchow
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2004
      I print with multiple colors all the time and even though the
      registration is close I've never have white gaps. A designer asked me
      today "How much trap do you want?" Since I've never specified trapping
      and had to find out what "trapping" is, how much trapping do I ask
      for? The time between the first and second colors is at least 5-6
      hours. Help!

      Thanks, Roderick
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2004
        Roderick,

        If you can register, two points should be fine.

        Regis
        I print with multiple colors all the time and even though the
        registration is close I've never have white gaps. A designer asked me
        today "How much trap do you want?" Since I've never specified trapping
        and had to find out what "trapping" is, how much trapping do I ask
        for? The time between the first and second colors is at least 5-6
        hours. Help!

        Thanks, Roderick

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2004
          Roderick

          If Regis says two points, go with two points. But if you've never had
          a problem with registration why do you need any overlap at all? Your
          designer is probably used to working with digital and offset printers?

          If you are printing with photopolymer you already have, at film to
          plate, a probable 5 percent gain, and even more with impression and
          ink accumulation during editioning.

          Gerald

          > I print with multiple colors all the time and even though the
          > registration is close I've never have white gaps. A designer asked me
          > today "How much trap do you want?" Since I've never specified trapping
          > and had to find out what "trapping" is, how much trapping do I ask
          > for? The time between the first and second colors is at least 5-6
          > hours. Help!
          >
          > Thanks, Roderick
        • Roderick
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
            Gerald,

            I'm doing wine labels. 1) First, a run of knocked-out
            black text followed by a second run of burgandy for a
            merlot. Then 2) the same knocked-out black text with a
            second run of a dark goldenrod for a chardonnary. Off
            the cuff, being that my secondary color is lighter
            than black, will my overlap show at all? Or show up as
            black with more ink applied? I'm confident that I can
            register but I don't mind playing it a little safe.

            --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
            > Roderick
            >
            > If Regis says two points, go with two points. But if
            > you've never had
            > a problem with registration why do you need any
            > overlap at all? Your
            > designer is probably used to working with digital
            > and offset printers?
            >
            > If you are printing with photopolymer you already
            > have, at film to
            > plate, a probable 5 percent gain, and even more with
            > impression and
            > ink accumulation during editioning.
            >
            > Gerald
            >

            > > I print with multiple colors all the time and even
            > though the
            > > registration is close I've never have white gaps.
            > A designer asked me
            > > today "How much trap do you want?" Since I've
            > never specified trapping
            > > and had to find out what "trapping" is, how much
            > trapping do I ask
            > > for? The time between the first and second colors
            > is at least 5-6
            > > hours. Help!
            > >
            > > Thanks, Roderick

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
              On 4/26/04 10:52 PM, "rxchow" <rxchow@...> wrote:
              > "How much trap do you want?"

              Because two points of trapping can cause noticeable overlap, we usually
              recommend 1/2 point trapping. This rule is loose and fast because some color
              combinations work better than others. As others have said, it also depends
              on your registration and the type of press you're using. Note that all the
              trapping values we're throwing around are larger than the typical separation
              for offset printing.

              If you're curious, you can simulate the traps for yourself if you have the
              full version of Acrobat and Illustrator. This routine is more geeky than it
              is actually helpful, but it could save on some film costs if you're
              uncertain about how the traps will eventually look on film:

              Print from whatever design program you're using with the necessary color
              separations to a PressReady pdf and open them individually in Illustrator of
              Freehand. You can cut and paste one color's paths so that it overlaps the
              second color. The trap should be noticeable because the paths of one color's
              sep will be larger than the other. You can adjust the fills and arrangement
              of the paths so that you can see on screen the exact difference.

              Although the separations will output at black and white, you can (sometimes,
              with some effort) "colorize" them and hit Overprint Preview in the View menu
              to see a simulation of what the color combination will be from the overlap
              of the two colors.

              And after all this, the trapping software that your film house uses may or
              may not be more sophisticated, so this method is just for recreational use.

              Harold

              Boxcar Press
            • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 27, 2004
                This trapping discussion reminds me of a funny story. AGFA ran an ad in a
                big trade magazine....a center-spread with full bleed reflex blue covering
                the entire spread. Right in the middle of page in bright orange letters was
                the AGFA logo...and there were not traps. White gaps were clearly
                visible...the premiere pre-press and graphics company ran an ad with
                terrible trapping.

                2pt traps are big enough to drive a truck through, and with modern satellite
                technology, may be visible from space. I can¹t imagine ever needing a trap
                larger than 1pt. I can usually hold a 1/2 pt trap on my C&P, 1/4 pt traps on
                my windmill.

                Cheers,
                Bryan

                bryan hutcheson