RE: [PPLetterpress] Wood anyone know . . .

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2004
      If you can dig your fingernail into it, it probably isn't commercially made
      furniture. Birch and basswood (poplar) are both extremely hard woods that
      will bend iron nails, not to say finger nails. I would say that all the
      commercial furniture I have is birch (I cut some myself from maple or
      whatever is available). Birch and maple are very similar.
      The fronts of my drawer-type type cases look like oak but I recall a posting
      on the letpress site that said they were actually ash. Ash looks very much
      like oak. For some reason the cases that have lips all seem to be made of
      other woods. Some could be birch but the grain on others is a little more
      open and some seem a little softer.
      Ramin is a Malayan wood that is apparently available in the UK. I have
      never seen it for sale in the US and had a hard time even finding out what
      it was. Perhaps it is sold under a different name here. See
      http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2002/timber_mafia/resources/resources
      _ramin.htm for information.

      David