Revival Fell Types and iKern

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2004
      Igino Marini has presented his revival Fell Types at his site

      http://www.iginomarini.com/fell.html

      Even more intriguing is the iKern program he presents.

      For another look at the Fell Types see Jonathan Hoefler's algorithmic
      digitizations at

      http://www.typography.com/

      We've had discussions here before about the feasibility of using
      digital typeface revivals that incorporate ink spread and other
      letterpress printing characteristics (whether faux or actual).
      Engaging, hard to resist, but really really difficult to print well.
      Adding the problems of letterpress to a face that incorporates the
      problems of letterpress takes a great deal of presswork management and
      some getting used to. Nothing new about that, there were several metal
      typefaces in the earlier part of the century that attempted the same
      "capture." The only serious, and functional, of these, however, was
      Monotype Poliphilus, but that was, despite earlier claims from the
      powers that be, carefully redrawn. I'm afraid this is something we
      will not see in digital revivals that attempt to capture the flavor of
      the past _in situ_.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2004
        Gerald--

        Alphabets also produced A*I Marlowe, (Also called Oberon) based on the Fell types.

        Ours was not a 'scan and trace', but a complete redrawing, with two optical sizes...
        http://www.alphabets.com

        I can provide a PDF on request.

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting