Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Miehle Question & More

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
      Fritz is absolutely correct, printing always should be thoroughly planned
      and always run on oversized stock and final trimmed. It is how it's done.

      Regis Graden

      From: "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...>

      >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

      Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
      The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
      sheet.

      Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
      wanted traffic, so ...

      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      . Encountering problems? contact:
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      . To unsubscribe:
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      . Encountering problems? contact:
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      . To unsubscribe:
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • AccuColor_Chicago
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
        Hi Michael,

        I have worked on a Indigo for five years, ink adhesion is one of
        the biggest issues to overcome. Here are smome guidelines
        that have helped me over time.

        Only use acid free papers or treated papers.

        Keep your ink conductivity between 85 and 105.

        Indigo ink seems to transfer more fully from the blanket to the
        paper in a room temperature of lower than 75 degrees.

        Let your work "set up" for an hour before backing up or trimming.
        Longer if the coverage is heavy. Work that scratches
        immediately after printing usually cools off and becomes solid a
        few hours later.

        Regarding the Vertical, I have two of those also. Great presses
        for die cutting or general printing. You will not be able to coat or
        varnish on it. Look for a cheap offset "duplicator" style offset
        press that will print the 12" X 18" sheet and run a varnish or
        aqueous coating on it.

        Best regards.

        Gary Mordhorst
        AccuColor Plus, Inc.
        Chicago
        www.accucolor.com

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
        <mdpphoto@y...> wrote:
        > Hello Pressmen,
        >
        > I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press.
        Indigo "inks"
        > adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking of
        getting
        > another press for varnishing to add durability.
        > A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting our
        small press
        > sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work?
        How hard is it