Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Miehle Question & More

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
      If you are scoring or perfing to the grippers, you're right. But you'll find
      most commercial jobs are laid out for the sheet to have a final trim after these
      operations are done, or the score/perf is run parallel to the cylinder so the
      grippers are not a problem and the score/perf can run off the sheet on both
      sides. A paper cutter becomes a critical need in a shop in order to gain the
      freedom of not being a slave to the sheet size being printed.

      Fritz

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
        Fritz is absolutely correct, printing always should be thoroughly planned
        and always run on oversized stock and final trimmed. It is how it's done.

        Regis Graden

        >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

        Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
        The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
        sheet.

        Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
        wanted traffic, so ...

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • AccuColor_Chicago
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
          Hi Michael,

          I have worked on a Indigo for five years, ink adhesion is one of
          the biggest issues to overcome. Here are smome guidelines
          that have helped me over time.

          Only use acid free papers or treated papers.

          Keep your ink conductivity between 85 and 105.

          Indigo ink seems to transfer more fully from the blanket to the
          paper in a room temperature of lower than 75 degrees.

          Let your work "set up" for an hour before backing up or trimming.
          Longer if the coverage is heavy. Work that scratches
          immediately after printing usually cools off and becomes solid a
          few hours later.

          Regarding the Vertical, I have two of those also. Great presses
          for die cutting or general printing. You will not be able to coat or
          varnish on it. Look for a cheap offset "duplicator" style offset
          press that will print the 12" X 18" sheet and run a varnish or
          aqueous coating on it.

          Best regards.

          Gary Mordhorst
          AccuColor Plus, Inc.
          Chicago
          www.accucolor.com

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
          <mdpphoto@y...> wrote:
          > Hello Pressmen,
          >
          > I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press.
          Indigo "inks"
          > adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking of
          getting
          > another press for varnishing to add durability.
          > A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting our
          small press
          > sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work?
          How hard is it