Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Miehle Question & More

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
      From: "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...>

      >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

      Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
      The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
      sheet.

      Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
      wanted traffic, so ...
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
        If you are scoring or perfing to the grippers, you're right. But you'll find
        most commercial jobs are laid out for the sheet to have a final trim after these
        operations are done, or the score/perf is run parallel to the cylinder so the
        grippers are not a problem and the score/perf can run off the sheet on both
        sides. A paper cutter becomes a critical need in a shop in order to gain the
        freedom of not being a slave to the sheet size being printed.

        Fritz

        >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

        Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
        The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
        sheet.

        Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
        wanted traffic, so ...

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
          Fritz is absolutely correct, printing always should be thoroughly planned
          and always run on oversized stock and final trimmed. It is how it's done.

          Regis Graden

          >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

          Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
          The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
          sheet.

          Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
          wanted traffic, so ...

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          . Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          . To unsubscribe:
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          . Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          . To unsubscribe:
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • AccuColor_Chicago
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
            Hi Michael,

            I have worked on a Indigo for five years, ink adhesion is one of
            the biggest issues to overcome. Here are smome guidelines
            that have helped me over time.

            Only use acid free papers or treated papers.

            Keep your ink conductivity between 85 and 105.

            Indigo ink seems to transfer more fully from the blanket to the
            paper in a room temperature of lower than 75 degrees.

            Let your work "set up" for an hour before backing up or trimming.
            Longer if the coverage is heavy. Work that scratches
            immediately after printing usually cools off and becomes solid a
            few hours later.

            Regarding the Vertical, I have two of those also. Great presses
            for die cutting or general printing. You will not be able to coat or
            varnish on it. Look for a cheap offset "duplicator" style offset
            press that will print the 12" X 18" sheet and run a varnish or
            aqueous coating on it.

            Best regards.

            Gary Mordhorst
            AccuColor Plus, Inc.
            Chicago
            www.accucolor.com

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
            <mdpphoto@y...> wrote:
            > Hello Pressmen,
            >
            > I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press.
            Indigo "inks"
            > adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking of
            getting
            > another press for varnishing to add durability.
            > A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting our
            small press
            > sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work?
            How hard is it