Re: [PPLetterpress] Miehle Question

  • Silver MayKitten
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
      Lock up the form in the chase, put a die cutting jacket on the
      cylender, remove the form inkers, makeready, setup and load the
      feeder, setup the stacker, run the job.

      More or less reverse the proceedure to change back.

      MayKitten
      --- Michael Parker <mdpphoto@...> wrote:
      > Hello Pressmen,
      >
      > I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press.
      > Indigo "inks"
      > adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking
      > of getting
      > another press for varnishing to add durability.
      > A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting
      > our small press
      > sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work?
      > How hard is it
      > to change the machine from printing to die-cutting?
      >
      > Michael Parker
      > Atlanta, GA

      =====
      Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

      From the book, Charge of the Goddess
      BY: Doreen Valiente

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Chris Papasadero
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
        [WARNING: NEWBIE ALERT]

        On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to die cut?

        -Chris Papasadero
        Portland, OR

        ================
        http://fwis.com
        ================

        I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press. Indigo "inks"
        adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking of getting
        another press for varnishing to add durability.
        A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting our small press
        sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work? How hard is it
        to change the machine from printing to die-cutting?

        Michael Parker
        Atlanta, GA

        • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        • Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        • To unsubscribe:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2004
          Chris

          I've never seen a steel die cutting plate made for a Vandercook, nor
          ever seen anything like that listed in the Vandercook literature. I'm
          sure only Fritz could provide us with the definitive answer to that.
          Vandercooks were, for the most part, designed as proofing presses.
          They are very, very good at that. They are not very good printing
          (editioning) presses though. You have to work quite hard to get the
          kind of quality that might come more "naturally" from a "real" press
          such as a Heidelberg cylinder. I suspect that using your press for die
          cutting would put a great deal of mechanical stress on it in the long
          run. I think you might be asking for too much from your poor old 219.

          But, having said that, yes, you can do the occasional die cut on a
          Vandercook. The main concern would be to protect the cylinder's
          surface from damage. Whenever I've needed to die cut on a Vandercook
          I've used a offset metal plate discard cut to the shape of the top
          blanket (drawsheet) and fashioned this to the cylinder with a bit of
          substantial undersheeting. Always worked well but I have never had
          much call to do much die cutting.

          It might be best to find a press better suited for this kind of work,
          or to just farm out the occasional die cut. There are certainly enough
          commercial letterpress printers still around who offer this service.

          Gerald

          > On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to
          die cut?

          > -Chris Papasadero
          > Portland, OR
        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2004
            There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks, and we do furnish stainless steel
            die jackets. We have a few commercial accounts that die cut short runs of
            gaskets, faces for dials, etc., so it is done. The key thing is not to push the
            press to its impression limits or to the maximum size--they are not made for
            extreme service, as Gerald indicates, and that work is better suited for presses
            designed to handle that kind of work. The Vandercook would use a standard steel
            die, like those used for platens or cylinder presses, .918 high.

            Fritz

            I've never seen a steel die cutting plate made for a Vandercook, nor
            ever seen anything like that listed in the Vandercook literature. I'm
            sure only Fritz could provide us with the definitive answer to that.
            Vandercooks were, for the most part, designed as proofing presses.
            They are very, very good at that. They are not very good printing
            (editioning) presses though. You have to work quite hard to get the
            kind of quality that might come more "naturally" from a "real" press
            such as a Heidelberg cylinder. I suspect that using your press for die
            cutting would put a great deal of mechanical stress on it in the long
            run. I think you might be asking for too much from your poor old 219.

            But, having said that, yes, you can do the occasional die cut on a
            Vandercook. The main concern would be to protect the cylinder's
            surface from damage. Whenever I've needed to die cut on a Vandercook
            I've used a offset metal plate discard cut to the shape of the top
            blanket (drawsheet) and fashioned this to the cylinder with a bit of
            substantial undersheeting. Always worked well but I have never had
            much call to do much die cutting.

            It might be best to find a press better suited for this kind of work,
            or to just farm out the occasional die cut. There are certainly enough
            commercial letterpress printers still around who offer this service.

            Gerald

            > On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to
            die cut?

            > -Chris Papasadero
            > Portland, OR

            PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            . Encountering problems? contact:
            PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            . To unsubscribe:
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mark Wilden
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
              From: "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...>

              >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

              Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
              The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
              sheet.

              Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
              wanted traffic, so ...
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
                If you are scoring or perfing to the grippers, you're right. But you'll find
                most commercial jobs are laid out for the sheet to have a final trim after these
                operations are done, or the score/perf is run parallel to the cylinder so the
                grippers are not a problem and the score/perf can run off the sheet on both
                sides. A paper cutter becomes a critical need in a shop in order to gain the
                freedom of not being a slave to the sheet size being printed.

                Fritz

                >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

                Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
                The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
                sheet.

                Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
                wanted traffic, so ...

                PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                . Encountering problems? contact:
                PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                . To unsubscribe:
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Regis Graden
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
                  Fritz is absolutely correct, printing always should be thoroughly planned
                  and always run on oversized stock and final trimmed. It is how it's done.

                  Regis Graden

                  >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

                  Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
                  The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
                  sheet.

                  Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
                  wanted traffic, so ...

                  PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  . Encountering problems? contact:
                  PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  . To unsubscribe:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  . Encountering problems? contact:
                  PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  . To unsubscribe:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • AccuColor_Chicago
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
                    Hi Michael,

                    I have worked on a Indigo for five years, ink adhesion is one of
                    the biggest issues to overcome. Here are smome guidelines
                    that have helped me over time.

                    Only use acid free papers or treated papers.

                    Keep your ink conductivity between 85 and 105.

                    Indigo ink seems to transfer more fully from the blanket to the
                    paper in a room temperature of lower than 75 degrees.

                    Let your work "set up" for an hour before backing up or trimming.
                    Longer if the coverage is heavy. Work that scratches
                    immediately after printing usually cools off and becomes solid a
                    few hours later.

                    Regarding the Vertical, I have two of those also. Great presses
                    for die cutting or general printing. You will not be able to coat or
                    varnish on it. Look for a cheap offset "duplicator" style offset
                    press that will print the 12" X 18" sheet and run a varnish or
                    aqueous coating on it.

                    Best regards.

                    Gary Mordhorst
                    AccuColor Plus, Inc.