Re: [PPLetterpress] Miehle Question

  • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
      I presume you are talking about a V-50. I have 3 of them they are not a
      varnish press you really need an offset press ink roller system to lay down
      varnish on a sheet evenly. As far as die cutting they are great press's a
      little hard on the dies now and then but good dependable die cutter's and
      awesome at numbering I can run circles around my kluge's when it comes to
      numbering. What sheet size are you looking for as far as varnishing. you
      might check ebay for a cheap duplicator. As long as it has good rubber it
      should do the trick.

      Sean
      arizonaprinter@...

      From: Michael Parker <mdpphoto@...>
      Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:28:41 -0400
      To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Miehle Question

      Hello Pressmen,

      I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press. Indigo "inks"
      adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking of getting
      another press for varnishing to add durability.
      A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting our small press
      sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work? How hard is it
      to change the machine from printing to die-cutting?

      Michael Parker
      Atlanta, GA

      • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      • Encountering problems? contact:
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      • To unsubscribe:

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Silver MayKitten
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
        Lock up the form in the chase, put a die cutting jacket on the
        cylender, remove the form inkers, makeready, setup and load the
        feeder, setup the stacker, run the job.

        More or less reverse the proceedure to change back.

        MayKitten
        --- Michael Parker <mdpphoto@...> wrote:
        > Hello Pressmen,
        >
        > I work at a newfangled print shop with a HP indigo press.
        > Indigo "inks"
        > adhere poorly to even its special substrates. We are thinking
        > of getting
        > another press for varnishing to add durability.
        > A Miehle vertical would be useful to us for die-cutting
        > our small press
        > sheets, but would it also be useful in varnishing our work?
        > How hard is it
        > to change the machine from printing to die-cutting?
        >
        > Michael Parker
        > Atlanta, GA

        =====
        Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

        From the book, Charge of the Goddess
        BY: Doreen Valiente

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Chris Papasadero
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
          [WARNING: NEWBIE ALERT]

          On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to die cut?

          -Chris Papasadero
          Portland, OR

          ================
          http://fwis.com
          ================

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2004
            Chris

            I've never seen a steel die cutting plate made for a Vandercook, nor
            ever seen anything like that listed in the Vandercook literature. I'm
            sure only Fritz could provide us with the definitive answer to that.
            Vandercooks were, for the most part, designed as proofing presses.
            They are very, very good at that. They are not very good printing
            (editioning) presses though. You have to work quite hard to get the
            kind of quality that might come more "naturally" from a "real" press
            such as a Heidelberg cylinder. I suspect that using your press for die
            cutting would put a great deal of mechanical stress on it in the long
            run. I think you might be asking for too much from your poor old 219.

            But, having said that, yes, you can do the occasional die cut on a
            Vandercook. The main concern would be to protect the cylinder's
            surface from damage. Whenever I've needed to die cut on a Vandercook
            I've used a offset metal plate discard cut to the shape of the top
            blanket (drawsheet) and fashioned this to the cylinder with a bit of
            substantial undersheeting. Always worked well but I have never had
            much call to do much die cutting.

            It might be best to find a press better suited for this kind of work,
            or to just farm out the occasional die cut. There are certainly enough
            commercial letterpress printers still around who offer this service.

            Gerald

            > On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to
            die cut?

            > -Chris Papasadero
            > Portland, OR
          • Fritz Klinke
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2004
              There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks, and we do furnish stainless steel
              die jackets. We have a few commercial accounts that die cut short runs of
              gaskets, faces for dials, etc., so it is done. The key thing is not to push the
              press to its impression limits or to the maximum size--they are not made for
              extreme service, as Gerald indicates, and that work is better suited for presses
              designed to handle that kind of work. The Vandercook would use a standard steel
              die, like those used for platens or cylinder presses, .918 high.

              Fritz

              I've never seen a steel die cutting plate made for a Vandercook, nor
              ever seen anything like that listed in the Vandercook literature. I'm
              sure only Fritz could provide us with the definitive answer to that.
              Vandercooks were, for the most part, designed as proofing presses.
              They are very, very good at that. They are not very good printing
              (editioning) presses though. You have to work quite hard to get the
              kind of quality that might come more "naturally" from a "real" press
              such as a Heidelberg cylinder. I suspect that using your press for die
              cutting would put a great deal of mechanical stress on it in the long
              run. I think you might be asking for too much from your poor old 219.

              But, having said that, yes, you can do the occasional die cut on a
              Vandercook. The main concern would be to protect the cylinder's
              surface from damage. Whenever I've needed to die cut on a Vandercook
              I've used a offset metal plate discard cut to the shape of the top
              blanket (drawsheet) and fashioned this to the cylinder with a bit of
              substantial undersheeting. Always worked well but I have never had
              much call to do much die cutting.

              It might be best to find a press better suited for this kind of work,
              or to just farm out the occasional die cut. There are certainly enough
              commercial letterpress printers still around who offer this service.

              Gerald

              > On this same vein - how does one go about setting up a vandy 219 to
              die cut?

              > -Chris Papasadero
              > Portland, OR

              PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              . Encountering problems? contact:
              PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              . To unsubscribe:
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Mark Wilden
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
                From: "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...>

                >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

                Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
                The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
                sheet.

                Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
                wanted traffic, so ...
              • Fritz Klinke
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
                  If you are scoring or perfing to the grippers, you're right. But you'll find
                  most commercial jobs are laid out for the sheet to have a final trim after these
                  operations are done, or the score/perf is run parallel to the cylinder so the
                  grippers are not a problem and the score/perf can run off the sheet on both
                  sides. A paper cutter becomes a critical need in a shop in order to gain the
                  freedom of not being a slave to the sheet size being printed.

                  Fritz

                  >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

                  Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
                  The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
                  sheet.

                  Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
                  wanted traffic, so ...

                  PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  . Encountering problems? contact:
                  PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  . To unsubscribe:
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Regis Graden
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 17, 2004
                    Fritz is absolutely correct, printing always should be thoroughly planned
                    and always run on oversized stock and final trimmed. It is how it's done.

                    Regis Graden

                    >There is some die cutting done on Vandercooks

                    Based on John Cornelisse's suggestion, I did some scoring on a Vandercook.
                    The only problem was not being able to go all the way to the edge of the
                    sheet.

                    Not the same as die-cutting, and I'm just an amateur amateur, but Fritz
                    wanted traffic, so ...

                    PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    . Encountering problems? contact:
                    PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    . To unsubscribe:
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    . Encountering problems? contact:
                    PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    . To unsubscribe:
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • AccuColor_Chicago
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
                      Hi Michael,

                      I have worked on a Indigo for five years, ink adhesion is one of
                      the biggest issues to overcome. Here are smome guidelines
                      that have helped me over time.

                      Only use acid free papers or treated papers.

                      Keep your ink conductivity between 85 and 105.

                      Indigo ink seems to transfer more fully from the blanket to the
                      paper in a room temperature of lower than 75 degrees.

                      Let your work "set up" for an hour before backing up or trimming.
                      Longer if the coverage is heavy. Work that scratches
                      immediately after printing usually cools off and becomes solid a
                      few hours later.

                      Regarding the Vertical, I have two of those also. Great presses
                      for die cutting or general printing. You will not be able to coat or
                      varnish on it. Look for a cheap offset "duplicator" style offset
                      press that will print the 12" X 18" sheet and run a varnish or
                      aqueous coating on it.

                      Best regards.

                      Gary Mordhorst
                      AccuColor Plus, Inc.