Re: [PPLetterpress] Agfa Dante

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2004
      James

      Yes, it is, and given that the typeface was redone from the original
      designs and an attempt was made to provide a better letterfit than was
      possible with the technical restrictions of the casting machines,
      perhaps even better.

      Other offerings of the Dante would be cross-licensed versions, from
      Adobe, Linotype, etc., and would most likely be the same font as issued
      by Agfa (Agfa and Monotype Typography merged a few years back).

      Early on Monotype Typography offerings were slightly different from
      their licensed fonts but in the mid-90s I believe they redid the entire
      line to bring them into spec. Dante was released following this decision.

      Adobe was known for converting other licensed fonts to fit their own
      standards but generally you will find very little difference in the
      fonts and no alteration to the letterform itself. I can't recall if
      Bitstream offered Monotype but they did screw around with licensed fonts
      a bit.

      Gerald