Agfa Dante

  • crowmedia2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2004
      Thanks Gerald~

      I would assume that Agfa's is as close to metal Dante I can get. I see
      that there are others, Adobe renditions, etc.

      James
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2004
        James

        Yes, it is, and given that the typeface was redone from the original
        designs and an attempt was made to provide a better letterfit than was
        possible with the technical restrictions of the casting machines,
        perhaps even better.

        Other offerings of the Dante would be cross-licensed versions, from
        Adobe, Linotype, etc., and would most likely be the same font as issued
        by Agfa (Agfa and Monotype Typography merged a few years back).

        Early on Monotype Typography offerings were slightly different from
        their licensed fonts but in the mid-90s I believe they redid the entire
        line to bring them into spec. Dante was released following this decision.

        Adobe was known for converting other licensed fonts to fit their own
        standards but generally you will find very little difference in the
        fonts and no alteration to the letterform itself. I can't recall if
        Bitstream offered Monotype but they did screw around with licensed fonts
        a bit.

        Gerald