Re: agfa dante typeface~show of hands

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2004
      James

      Agfa Monotype's Dante is the old Monotype Typography Dante. The
      digital Dante was resurrected from the original metal patterns
      (unusual for Monotype) but was modified a bit for the digital
      environment. It was generated from a 9D pattern. There were four size
      patterns available but size optimization wasn't in the cards at the
      time. I would think it would work well but could probably use a bit of
      thinning out and some additional optimized size instances if it was to
      recapature the look of the metal version and sing properly on the page.

      When it first came out, over a decade ago, I wrote a review of it and
      other Monotype revivals for _The Typographer_, FYI I'll put a copy in
      the Files section here.

      In regard to the other question, there would not be an alteration of
      the letterform by Quark or Pagemaker or Indesign. Typefaces are
      independent, thank God, of software applications, except as you have
      surmised, in the way that page layout programs handle them.

      Gerald