Re: [PPLetterpress] roller supports

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2001
      David

      If you have plates made with the "bearer strips" placed at one side, with the
      remaining blank area left to overhang the base, this would greatly facilitate
      pickup. Probably not much different than the two-part bearers Allen discussed
      in _Printing with the Handpress_.

      Ger

      David Goodrich wrote:

      > A thought that occurred to me regarding using polymer strips with a magnetic
      > base is that the bearer strips could actually be removed for each
      > impression. Although this would be slow and messy, it could solve really
      > difficult problems.
    • David Goodrich
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2001
        Brian,
        I think a number of people have responded better than I could have. Let me
        just add that on an iron hand press there are no carriages, rails, etc.
        Inking has to be done with a hand roller and it is very hard to do evenly
        without roller bearers. It is also normal, though not absolutely necessary,
        to use a frisket. Although roller bearers will print on the tympan (or
        frisket), I avoid putting packing over the bearers to reduce the impact. A