Re: Digital Typefaces / Goudy Aries

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21 1:22 PM
      Rich,

      Thanks for the response. The ampersands are nice, but... Goudy drew an
      interesting series of ampersands for "Diggings" that showed the
      historical development of the ampersand. The same volume I think has a
      serious essay by Lehmann-Haupt and one or two other things. Most of
      the contributions were mock-serious or comic. The early Typophiles
      books in the 1930s, all rather rare, are assemblages from different
      printers, on different stock. I think there were 120 copies of
      "Diggings." I'm certain there's a copy at Rochester Institute of
      Technology's Cary Collection. (Heck, the Cary Collection may even have
      Goudy's engravings for the ampersands.) The early Typophile books are
      quite often a lot of fun. The Typophiles bibliography is online (not
      complete) here: http://www.typophiles.org/fsbibliography.html

      Their most important book is probably Janet Ing, _Johann Gutenberg and
      his Bible_ (1988, still in print). My favorite is the 2-vol Knopf book
      of writings from the 1950s (o.p.). Oak Knoll distributes for them.

      Sorry to fall into "Reference Librarian" mode.

      Paul