Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Digital Typefaces / Goudy Aries

  • Richard Kegler
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
      > Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
      > from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

      I was unaware of this book (but what an amazing title). The P22 Goudy
      Ampersands were based on drawings from a few different sources but primarily
      the 1944 Typophiles Type Design & Typography Vol.2

      RK
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
        Rich,

        Thanks for the response. The ampersands are nice, but... Goudy drew an
        interesting series of ampersands for "Diggings" that showed the
        historical development of the ampersand. The same volume I think has a
        serious essay by Lehmann-Haupt and one or two other things. Most of
        the contributions were mock-serious or comic. The early Typophiles
        books in the 1930s, all rather rare, are assemblages from different
        printers, on different stock. I think there were 120 copies of
        "Diggings." I'm certain there's a copy at Rochester Institute of
        Technology's Cary Collection. (Heck, the Cary Collection may even have
        Goudy's engravings for the ampersands.) The early Typophile books are
        quite often a lot of fun. The Typophiles bibliography is online (not
        complete) here: http://www.typophiles.org/fsbibliography.html

        Their most important book is probably Janet Ing, _Johann Gutenberg and
        his Bible_ (1988, still in print). My favorite is the 2-vol Knopf book
        of writings from the 1950s (o.p.). Oak Knoll distributes for them.

        Sorry to fall into "Reference Librarian" mode.

        Paul