Re: Digital Typefaces / Goudy Aries

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
      This isn't a direct response to the original inquiry but just to note
      that there are two books, Indie Fonts 1 and Indie Fonts 2, displays of
      types from independent foundries. (http://www.p22.com/indiefonts/)
      Storm Type has some displays in the second volume.

      As a side note, I see that P22 has issued a digital version of Fred
      Goudy's "Aries" face, which he cut as a proprietary type for the
      private press printer Spencer Kellogg and his "Aries" Press. (It was
      later revised for the Grabhorn Brothers and recut as "Franciscan.")
      I'm intrigued that the set is issued with two decorative fonts: "one
      font of 52 decorative Ornaments & one font that contains 52
      Ampersands." http://www.p22.com/products/goudy.html

      I think Rich Kegler, proprietor of P22, is a member of this list.
      Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
      from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

      Paul
      Co-Moderator
    • Richard Kegler
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
        > Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
        > from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

        I was unaware of this book (but what an amazing title). The P22 Goudy
        Ampersands were based on drawings from a few different sources but primarily
        the 1944 Typophiles Type Design & Typography Vol.2

        RK
      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
          Rich,

          Thanks for the response. The ampersands are nice, but... Goudy drew an
          interesting series of ampersands for "Diggings" that showed the
          historical development of the ampersand. The same volume I think has a
          serious essay by Lehmann-Haupt and one or two other things. Most of
          the contributions were mock-serious or comic. The early Typophiles
          books in the 1930s, all rather rare, are assemblages from different
          printers, on different stock. I think there were 120 copies of
          "Diggings." I'm certain there's a copy at Rochester Institute of
          Technology's Cary Collection. (Heck, the Cary Collection may even have
          Goudy's engravings for the ampersands.) The early Typophile books are
          quite often a lot of fun. The Typophiles bibliography is online (not
          complete) here: http://www.typophiles.org/fsbibliography.html

          Their most important book is probably Janet Ing, _Johann Gutenberg and
          his Bible_ (1988, still in print). My favorite is the 2-vol Knopf book
          of writings from the 1950s (o.p.). Oak Knoll distributes for them.

          Sorry to fall into "Reference Librarian" mode.

          Paul