RE: [PPLetterpress] Roller Supports

  • Joel Benson
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 6, 2001
      Dan Waters wrote:
      My question comes where Windmills are concerned. One would not dare
      allow supports to print on the tympan, because the gripper blades
      slide across with each impression. For this same reason, you'd be
      asking for trouble if you cut away tympan, thus leaving places where
      grippers could snag. I suppose Katie Harper's excellent suggestion of
      a frisket would be the best answer, for Heidelberg users.

      Dan Waters
      Indian Hill Press

      I would think the roller support bearers would be moot on a windmill,
      with its excellent roller adjustment rails. Assuming your trucks are
      all the same size and in good condition, of course.

      The rails are more precise and less susceptible to mechanical age/wear,
      I would think, than a carriage-type mechanism. On my Vandercook, I rely
      on gravity to ensure contact between rollers and type. Gravity is
      pretty reliable, but crud, old grease and mechanical misalignment in the
      roller carriage has interfered.

      I would avoid cutting the tympan on a windmill, not only because the
      grippers could snag. Paper will catch on it too, resulting in
      mis-registration.

      Is there some accessory for using a frisket on the windmill? I can't
      imagine how it would work, but I'm curious.

      Joel Benson
      Dependable Letterpress
      San Francisco
    • Austin Jones
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 17, 2008
        Eric makes a good point. Bearers can be used for a multitude of problems.
        They can cause problems with impression if not used properly.

        It is always important to understand the relationship between type, ink
        rollers, and platen. Any change in either requires a change in the others. I
        do more packing behind type than on the platen. I use a variety of type
        fonts. to set up reprints of old broadsides. This type will vary in height
        quite often. My logic - I want the type to be level on top where it comes in
        contact with the ink rollers. I don't care if the feet are even. Packing for
        uneven type on the platen serves the same purpose. I like to get the
        majority of the type inking evenly, then adjust the feet to bring the type
        up to being even. It will now ink even. Platen packing is now obvious.

        I print on flatbed presses quite often with hand brayers. I have never found
        bearers necessary. I use heavy brayers. The brayer has a large core of metal
        which controls the weight and pressure. By using a Brayer with a consistent
        weight, the pressure is consistent. I never apply pressure to the brayer,
        just allow it to ride over the type or image. Perhaps if I were printing
        large expanses of small type I might find a need to support the brayer in
        some instances.

        I think that most of this discussion makes the point that all printers need
        to completely understand the process, equipment, media, and environment
        before applying ink to spatula.

        Austin Jones
        prints by AJ
        Point Pleasant, WV