[PPLetterpress] Re: Digital Typefaces

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
      If I may mention my own Prospera, I've found that on the occasion that I've had a mag plate made with it, I've been very happy with the result.
      In fact, as it was my first complete design, back in the late 80s, I designed it initially to work with 'low-res' (300dpi) output devices. Later I added a slightly emboldened weight (Book) which produces a better color for digital offset. However, the original (Roman) weight is indeed somewhat 'spindly', and has somewhat exaggerated serifs, which also make for a nice lp impression...

      There's a very small glimpse of the face at http://www.alphabets.com/
      and perhaps, if you're lucky, a more substantial preview and pdf, for those willing to dig through an obsolete website somewhere here:
      http://www.alphabets.com/folpdf/AIProspe.pdf

      This nice PDF catalogue was designed in 1996 for Alphabets by Brian Sooy (http://alteredegofonts.com/)
      The sans headings are my Quanta.
      http://www.alphabets.com/folpdf/AIQuanta.pdf

      The Alphabets, Inc (A*I) redrawing of the Fell Oxford types would probably also find some use in letterpress, (Called Marlowe on the Alphabets homepage, my original name was Oberon. Unfortunately, Oberon was already in use, for a frilly, I suppose 'fairy-like', script.The King of the Fairies (in Midsummernights Dream) I don't think of Oberon as frilly!;-) Two optical sizes were drawn from the models taken from the Oxford Catalogue of (?) 1910 or so...)

      I hope the plug is not out of line ;-)
      Best Vernal Wishes!
      Peter

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
        This isn't a direct response to the original inquiry but just to note
        that there are two books, Indie Fonts 1 and Indie Fonts 2, displays of
        types from independent foundries. (http://www.p22.com/indiefonts/)
        Storm Type has some displays in the second volume.

        As a side note, I see that P22 has issued a digital version of Fred
        Goudy's "Aries" face, which he cut as a proprietary type for the
        private press printer Spencer Kellogg and his "Aries" Press. (It was
        later revised for the Grabhorn Brothers and recut as "Franciscan.")
        I'm intrigued that the set is issued with two decorative fonts: "one
        font of 52 decorative Ornaments & one font that contains 52
        Ampersands." http://www.p22.com/products/goudy.html

        I think Rich Kegler, proprietor of P22, is a member of this list.
        Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
        from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

        Paul
        Co-Moderator
      • Richard Kegler
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
          > Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
          > from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

          I was unaware of this book (but what an amazing title). The P22 Goudy
          Ampersands were based on drawings from a few different sources but primarily
          the 1944 Typophiles Type Design & Typography Vol.2

          RK
        • Paul W Romaine
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
            Rich,

            Thanks for the response. The ampersands are nice, but... Goudy drew an
            interesting series of ampersands for "Diggings" that showed the
            historical development of the ampersand. The same volume I think has a
            serious essay by Lehmann-Haupt and one or two other things. Most of
            the contributions were mock-serious or comic. The early Typophiles
            books in the 1930s, all rather rare, are assemblages from different
            printers, on different stock. I think there were 120 copies of
            "Diggings." I'm certain there's a copy at Rochester Institute of
            Technology's Cary Collection. (Heck, the Cary Collection may even have
            Goudy's engravings for the ampersands.) The early Typophile books are
            quite often a lot of fun. The Typophiles bibliography is online (not
            complete) here: http://www.typophiles.org/fsbibliography.html

            Their most important book is probably Janet Ing, _Johann Gutenberg and
            his Bible_ (1988, still in print). My favorite is the 2-vol Knopf book
            of writings from the 1950s (o.p.). Oak Knoll distributes for them.

            Sorry to fall into "Reference Librarian" mode.

            Paul