[PPLetterpress] Re: Digital Typefaces

  • Dan Franklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2004
      Gerald, you mention Storm Type. Have you actually used any of their
      typefaces? From their specimens, I think they generally capture the
      spirit of the type -- in fact, they may even exaggerate it somewhat
      (I'm thinking of Baskerville in particular).

      You also mention Richard Beatty. I tried to track him down 3 or 4
      years ago, without success. He obviously had the eye for Goudy's
      work, and a couple of his faces were used by Stephen Moye in his now
      out-of-print 'Fontographer: Type by Design'. What is the name of the
      cancelleresca bastarda that you like so much? Is it Romulus or some
      such name? Where can one buy this and other Richard Beatty fonts?

      Many or most of the digital faces created from old Monotype faces by
      Monotype tend to be spindly, or 'anemic' as you say, and would be
      excellent choices for letterpress. This has been said before, and not
      just by me.

      Dan Franklin
      Village Typographers
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
        Dan

        A client supplied one of the Storm Czech faces for a project. Wish I
        could afford a CD of this stuff. I'm a sucker for all that Czech
        Printing Office inspired work.

        The Beatty face is based on von Krimpen's Cancellersca Bastarda. Has a
        1996 copyright on it. That was also the last year I had contact with
        him, and the foundry was still active. Yes, Beatty titled it Romus
        Bastarda. As I recall Beatty didn't do directs. He drew the stuff out
        and corrected by eye. Pretty good eye and hand coordination though.

        Beatty's fonts are a bit scattered, no real collection anywhere that
        I've found. I checked the listings here and noted Phil's Fonts and one
        other at a quick glance. There are a few other more obscure
        distributors that carry his stuff as well. I've got a fairly extensive
        listing (in the Links section here) of the various foundries and
        distributors that carry fonts that might be of technical interest.

        There was supposedly another book coming out on Fontographer last
        summer but I haven't heard if it was ever published. By the fellow who
        used to provide technical support for Fontographer when he was at
        Macromedia. There is also a book forthcoming on FontLab. Last year I
        put together a letterpress configuration sequence for FontLab, like
        the one I did for Fontographer. Had it up for a while in the Files
        section. I'll put it back up if there is interest.

        Yeah, many of the fairly straight reproductions of Linotype, Lanston,
        Ludlow, Monotype faces are useful, and, ahem, you are not the only one
        who has said that before!!! In some cases they can be used straight
        out of the can, but I'd recommend a bit of outline adjustment for most
        of them.

        Don't know why I didn't mention this in the previous post but I should
        have. There is at least one digital typeface that was designed
        specifically for letterpress. dfTYPE's Rialto Pressa. It is a pleasure
        to work with. Did an article for Parenthesis about two years ago when
        I talked about this face as well as optimizing digital type for
        letterpress. Some interesting visuals of the technical features of
        Rialto were presented.

        Gerald

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
          If I may mention my own Prospera, I've found that on the occasion that I've had a mag plate made with it, I've been very happy with the result.
          In fact, as it was my first complete design, back in the late 80s, I designed it initially to work with 'low-res' (300dpi) output devices. Later I added a slightly emboldened weight (Book) which produces a better color for digital offset. However, the original (Roman) weight is indeed somewhat 'spindly', and has somewhat exaggerated serifs, which also make for a nice lp impression...

          There's a very small glimpse of the face at http://www.alphabets.com/
          and perhaps, if you're lucky, a more substantial preview and pdf, for those willing to dig through an obsolete website somewhere here:
          http://www.alphabets.com/folpdf/AIProspe.pdf

          This nice PDF catalogue was designed in 1996 for Alphabets by Brian Sooy (http://alteredegofonts.com/)
          The sans headings are my Quanta.
          http://www.alphabets.com/folpdf/AIQuanta.pdf

          The Alphabets, Inc (A*I) redrawing of the Fell Oxford types would probably also find some use in letterpress, (Called Marlowe on the Alphabets homepage, my original name was Oberon. Unfortunately, Oberon was already in use, for a frilly, I suppose 'fairy-like', script.The King of the Fairies (in Midsummernights Dream) I don't think of Oberon as frilly!;-) Two optical sizes were drawn from the models taken from the Oxford Catalogue of (?) 1910 or so...)

          I hope the plug is not out of line ;-)
          Best Vernal Wishes!
          Peter

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

          http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
        • Paul W Romaine
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2004
            This isn't a direct response to the original inquiry but just to note
            that there are two books, Indie Fonts 1 and Indie Fonts 2, displays of
            types from independent foundries. (http://www.p22.com/indiefonts/)
            Storm Type has some displays in the second volume.

            As a side note, I see that P22 has issued a digital version of Fred
            Goudy's "Aries" face, which he cut as a proprietary type for the
            private press printer Spencer Kellogg and his "Aries" Press. (It was
            later revised for the Grabhorn Brothers and recut as "Franciscan.")
            I'm intrigued that the set is issued with two decorative fonts: "one
            font of 52 decorative Ornaments & one font that contains 52
            Ampersands." http://www.p22.com/products/goudy.html

            I think Rich Kegler, proprietor of P22, is a member of this list.
            Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
            from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

            Paul
            Co-Moderator
          • Richard Kegler
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
              > Rich: are these based on the ampersands that Goudy drew for _Diggings
              > from Many Ampersandhogs_ (NY: Typophiles, 1936)?

              I was unaware of this book (but what an amazing title). The P22 Goudy
              Ampersands were based on drawings from a few different sources but primarily
              the 1944 Typophiles Type Design & Typography Vol.2

              RK
            • Paul W Romaine
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
                Rich,

                Thanks for the response. The ampersands are nice, but... Goudy drew an
                interesting series of ampersands for "Diggings" that showed the
                historical development of the ampersand. The same volume I think has a
                serious essay by Lehmann-Haupt and one or two other things. Most of
                the contributions were mock-serious or comic. The early Typophiles
                books in the 1930s, all rather rare, are assemblages from different
                printers, on different stock. I think there were 120 copies of
                "Diggings." I'm certain there's a copy at Rochester Institute of
                Technology's Cary Collection. (Heck, the Cary Collection may even have
                Goudy's engravings for the ampersands.) The early Typophile books are
                quite often a lot of fun. The Typophiles bibliography is online (not
                complete) here: http://www.typophiles.org/fsbibliography.html

                Their most important book is probably Janet Ing, _Johann Gutenberg and
                his Bible_ (1988, still in print). My favorite is the 2-vol Knopf book
                of writings from the 1950s (o.p.). Oak Knoll distributes for them.

                Sorry to fall into "Reference Librarian" mode.

                Paul